Sony Unveils First Look at ‘The Girl in the Spider’s Web’ Cast and Logo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTRGV chapter.

On the eve of concluding production on “The Girl in the Spider’s Web,” Sony Pictures has unveiled the first look at hacker Lisbeth Salander and her supporting cast…sort of.

Sporting a pixie ‘do, Claire Foy, best known for Netflix’s “The Crown,” stepped out with her cast mates and director Fede Alvarez for a photocall in Stockholm, Sweden where production is underway for the upcoming sequel in the “Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” franchise.

Foy, who’s taking over for Rooney Mara as Lisbeth, teased her role in the sequel, saying, “Fede [Alvarez] always told me that it was the story of Lisbeth and where she’s come from, where she’s going to. At the beginning of the story, you sort of find somebody who’s looking for what their purpose in life is, really.”

Alvarez (“Don’t Breathe”), who’s taking over directing duties from David Fincher and penned the script with Jay Basu and Steven Knight, describes the film as “a little bit of a roller coaster movie; once it goes it never stops until the end.”

The franchise remained stagnant after Fincher’s 2011 remake of the Swedish hit underperformed at the box office. With a sequel never materializing under Fincher’s watch, Sony decided to reboot the series by adapting the fourth novel in the Millennium series.

Check out the images and video of the cast and crew below, which feature Norwegian actor Sverrir Gudnason, who’s taking over Daniel Craig’s role as journalist Mikael Blomkvist, LaKeith Stanfield who plays NSA security expert Alona Casales and Stephen Merchant. “The Girl in the Spider’s Web” also stars Sylvia Hoeks (“Blade Runner 2049”), Claes Bang (“The Square”), Cameron Britton (“Mindhunter”), Synnøve Macody Lund (“Headhunters”) and Vicky Krieps (“Phantom Thread”), and opens in theaters on Nov. 9, 2018. 

UTRGV Class of 2018  Mass Comm Major Mexican-American Studies Minor