Introducing HC UTRGV’s New CC Kennedy Castillo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTRGV chapter.

Tell us a bit about yourself. Who is Kennedy Castillo?

I graduated from high school in May 2017 and now I’m in my second semester at UTRGV. At the end of this semester I’ll be classified as a junior. My major is mass communication with a concentration in journalism. I’ve always had a passion for writing, and even had my own column in a local magazine for three years. 

What are some of your hobbies?

Of course my favorite hobby has to be writing especially when it’s for Her Campus. Aside from writing my favorite hobby is dancing. I first took ballet when I was three years old. I now train in ballet, tap and jazz. It’s definitely my favorite hobby, because it is a way of expressing myself, a form of exercise and something I genuinely enjoy doing. I train at the Deborah Case Dance Academy and am a member of the Rio Grande Valley Ballet. I also take dance classes on campus. Another one of my hobbies is cheerleading, I was a cheerleader in high school and am a certified cheer coach. Although I’m not cheering right now it’s still a passion of mine I hope to get back into. 

What is your dream job?

When I graduate with my bachelors degree I plan on going to law school. My dream job is to be a lawyer with my own law firm. I dream really big, so I’d also love to be an author one day. I’d love to write my own book, and maybe even writer articles for Buzzfeed or Vogue at the same time. 

What are you most excited for this Semester as far as being CC for UTRGV’s HC chapter?

The members of UTRGV’s HC chapter are all such talented writers, I look forward to working with them and motivating them to write more. I am very excited, because I have so many plans for UTRGV’s HC chapter. I don’t want to give too much away, but something our readers can look forward to is our new “Writer of the Month” profiles that we will be starting this month. 

What is your favorite song? (Or music you like)

I’m a big music fan I listen to everything from classical Tchaikovsky songs to current radio hits, because of this my favorite song is always changing. At the moment though I’m currently obsessed with anything Imagine Dragons. 

Last (and in my opinion) most important question, are you a dog or cat person?

As much as I’ve always wanted a pet cat, it would be wrong of me to not say I’m a dog person. Aside from my pet fish and two chickens (long story) I’ve only ever had a pet dog, who was actually my first pet ever. She actually just had a birthday this week and has her own Instagram (@CocoChanelCastillo) so yeah, dog person for sure.

UTRGV Class of 2018  Mass Comm Major Mexican-American Studies Minor