This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTRGV chapter.

As college students we live on our phones whether we are browsing through social media, surfing the internet or reading the later articles on Her Campus, but when it comes to apps there are so many to choose from. The choice can sometimes be difficult, no need to fret though I’ve got your back! I’ve compiled a list of the top apps in just about every category that every college student should have.

1- Dropbox: This app is a life saver, you can keep your files and documents in your dropbox and access them from any computer or phone. This means that you can start an assignment on one device, leave it in your dropbox and finish it later on another device. You won’t have to worry about grabbing the wrong laptop or even forgetting your laptop ever again, because you can just log into your dropbox from any device, and open the document you need.

2- Spotify: If you love music, than this is the app for you. Spotify allows you to listen to pretty much any song your heart desires, create playlists and even listen to pre-made playlists. This app has all the latest music, and even some of your old faves. The best part is you can get a student discount for Spotify premium (unlimited skips and you can download music) bundled with the popular streaming app Hulu. So it doesn’t matter if your taking a study break or jamming with your study group this app is perfect!

3- Blackboard: Let’s face it not all of us want to log in to Blackboard on our computers every time we need a reminder of when an assignment is due. With the Blackboard app you can easily check what is due for your classes, your grades and review your syllabus or course materials if you need to. This app is especially perfect for anyone who is taking online classes. You can do tests and assignments straight from your phone (I don’t recommend taking tests on your phone though). It is perfect for the on the go college student.

4- Good Guide: Let’s face it as college students we tend to go to the store and buy whatever is cheap and convenient without even considering the toxic chemicals it may contain. Good Guide can help you make better choices when it comes to everyday products. With this app you can scan barcodes or search for products such as; beauty products, household items and food once you find the product you’re looking for the app will give you a list of the ingredients. It will alert you if any of those ingredients could be hazardous to your health and even provide you with alternative products.

5- Brainscape: This app is an awesome study tool, you can create your own flashcards or use any of the pre-made flash cards the app offers. You can even track your progress and collaborate with classmates. With this app you can be the smartest in the class, and ace your midterms and finals.

6- Alarmy: As college students it’s easy to stay up too late studying and be late to class the next morning, but not anymore. Alarmy is an alarm app that is determined to make sure you wake up and make it to class on time. You can set the alarm so that it won’t turn off unless you take a picture of a certain part of your room or so that you have to solve a math problem before it will turn off. It is the perfect way to not only ensure you aren’t late to class, but also to wake up your brain.

7- Left to Spend: Most of us are between the ages of eighteen and twenty-something so budgeting can be difficult, causing us to overspend our money. Left to Spend is an app that can prevent overspending, and is simple to use. Some budgeting apps can be crazy complicated and confusing but this app makes everything very easy to understand.

8- Circle of Six: Sometimes leaving the library after a late study sesh or being around campus at night can be scary. We fear that we might be put in a situation where we aren’t safe. This app will help settle our nerves, and make us feel safer. Circle of Six allows you to enter six people as emergency contacts, when the app is open all you have to do is click on someones name and it will send them a message alerting them that you need help.

9- First Aid By American Red Cross: Before we became college students it was easy to go to the doctor or ask for our parents advice when we got sick, unfortunately that is not so easy anymore. This app is perfect for first-aid situations that we aren’t quite sure how to handle. It provides expert medical advice that is both reliable and fast. It can help you make sure you know how to handle your health properly.

10- Yelp: Most of us have been in the situation where we want to hang out with our friends on the weekend, but we don’t know where to go. Yelp helps you search for places in every category; entertainment, restaurant, stores and more. It let’s you see ratings for each place so you can decide if it’s worth going to or not. You can also see business hours and related places. It will save you from a boring weekend indoors, and help you find a great place to hang out.

All of these apps are either free or cost less than $5, but are worth the small price. Her Campus/ Her Campus UTRGV are not sponsored by any of these apps, and all opinions and descriptions are the honest opinion of the writer.

Kennedy Castillo is a student at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley majoring in communications. She is the founder of her personal brand Kennedy C Media consisting of KennedyCBlog.com, The Simply Kennedy Podcast and Kennedy Castillo Youtube Channel. She previously worked with Riddle & Bloom as an Amazon Prime Student Ambassador. She is a freelance writer with published articles in Woman2Woman Magazine, Glue Magazine, Lune Magazine, Vinazine and Her Culture Magazine. She is the current Campus Correspondent and President of the UTRGV Her Campus Chapter and previously worked as a Her Campus Chapter Advisor, Her Campus Chapter Expansion Intern and Her Campus High School Ambassador Program Advisor.