This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

When I first started planning my Spring Break, I tried to plan a vacation. When it came down to it, though, I wasn’t able to decide on a location or travel partner. Anyways, staying home meant I could save a little money.

Instead of going on a trip for Spring Break, I’m going to drive two hours to my hometown and hang out there with my mom, brother and boyfriend. As Spring Break approaches, I’m not certain I could be more excited.

I thought I’d be disappointed to stay home for Spring Break. Now that the time is only a week away, though, I’m so ready to have a week off of school and work. I’ll get to sleep in and spend much-needed time with my family.

I’m going to use this week to appreciate my hometown businesses. I’m going to use this time to get ahead on reading and school work. I’m going to use this time to relax.

I wouldn’t necessarily call myself a homebody, but I know that getting on an airplane and sleeping in an uncomfortable hotel bed isn’t what I need right now. Instead, I’m going to be in my own comfy bed with my cats and dogs and good home-cooked food.

I’ve spent way too much of the last few weeks looking on the internet for the best restaurants in and around my hometown. As it turns out, I have a lot of options that I wasn’t even aware of. I’m getting ahead of myself, I know. I only have a week after all. Somehow, packing to stay home is even more difficult.

Still, though, I’m excited to tell my mom about the past month. I’ve saved recipes on Pinterest to try out on my family because cooking for one in a dorm isn’t quite as fun.

There’s just something exciting about going home once in a while. If you aren’t going anywhere special for Spring Break, that’s okay. That time is still extremely valuable. Use it to explore the town you don’t usually have time for. When you’re so busy during the semester, you don’t get that nice time like you’ll have during break.

If you are going somewhere for Spring Break, that’s awesome. I know you’ll have a great time. I’m not too upset though. I’ll be resting and keeping it low-key where I’m most comfortable. So, if you’re like me, don’t be too sad.

I am a sophomore broadcast communications major and theatre minor at the University of Tennessee at Martin. When I’m not in class or participating in events on campus, I spend my time reading, doing yoga, working out, or petting my cats.
I am a pre-vet major who loves to laugh (especially at myself), drink coffee, and spend time with my dog, Cora. I moved from Massachusetts to Tennessee to attend college at UTM and compete for their division 1 rifle team.