Pros and Cons of Living on and off Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

Like most freshmen, I spent my first year at UTM living on campus. I was lucky enough to be able to live in the University Village Phase II, and some of my best memories were made in that building. This year, I’m renting a room in a house off campus with one of my best friends. There have been upsides to both, but there have also been some downsides. Keep in mind that some of these points are specific to the housing options I chose, and every person’s experience will be different.

Pros of living on campus:

Living on campus is a great way to meet new people. I was able to meet some of my closest friends by simply talking to my assigned roommates and other girls on my floor. Also, by being surrounded by other people constantly, it’s very hard to feel lonely. And for those of us who like to press snooze on their alarms as many times as humanly possible, you can wake up 15 minutes before class and still make it on time since all the housing options are next to the quad.

Cons of living on campus:

One of the biggest cons about living on campus is the price. At around $3,000 a semester, Phase II was costing almost as much as tuition. Also, depending on where you live, there are some restrictions on things, like visitation and quiet hours. Pets, as much as we love them, are not allowed either unless you can register them as an Emotional Support Animal, which can take some time.

Pros of living off campus:

The main reason I moved off campus was the cost. I am able to pay almost half as much for rent as I was paying to live in Phase II. Another major pro is the freedom that living off campus gives you. I’m not just talking about freedom to have parties or play loud music, but the freedom to do anything. You can burn candles or have pets, and you don’t have to worry about hiding it all for room searches. This amount of freedom is different for everyone though because it still depends on your landlord’s policies.

Cons of living off campus:

Unlike living in campus housing, you have to give yourself enough time to drive, bike or walk to campus. This doesn’t seem that bad until you spend 10 minutes looking for a parking spot when you’re already running late. Also, I had unlimited use of utilities in Phase II, and that is definitely not the case now. Sadly, this means no more thirty-minute showers every morning. Another con is the fact that you aren’t living in the same building as all your friends now, and you have to put in more of an effort to see them.

Overall, it’s easy to find good reasons to live both on or off campus. It really just depends on what type of person you are and what type of lifestyle you are most comfortable with. UTM has amazing housing options, and the housing staff works hard to make it a great experience for you. Also, many of the landlords in Martin are very nice and accommodating, and they can make living off campus just as great of an experience. Chances are you won’t be let down by either option.

Photo courtesy of Pexels.

I am a junior Criminal Justice, Forensic Science major and Sociology minor at the University of Tennessee at Martin. I'm from Nashville, but I love going to school in Martin and I am so happy to call this small town my home away from home! Find me on Instagram @chloewagner130