I’m Going to be Your Mom Friend for a Minute

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

You made it through midterms and fall break. Before you know it, it’ll be Thanksgiving break, all assignments for every class will be due (at the same time), finals and then, finally, Christmas. It’s all downhill from here. I think we’ve all reached the point in the semester where our motivation to do anything is plummeting, procrastination is a daily problem and our sleep schedule is nearly nonexistent. Some of us still live at home while others stay in dorms or apartments. It doesn’t matter which category you fall into, you probably need to hear one of these things. So, I’m going to be your mom friend and tell you all the things your mother would be reminding you of if she were here with you.

Do your laundry.

If you’re anything like me, you’ve been putting off washing your clothes for as long as you can. The weather is back and forth between all the seasons each week, and you never know what kind of outfit you’re going to need to wear. I seriously wore shorts and a short sleeve t-shirt to class this week, only days away from November. My laundry basket is overflowing. That stack of clothes isn’t getting any smaller. Plus, you know you really want to wear that cute shirt again this week, anyways.

Clean your room.

Take a break from the studying and endless assignments. Gather up all your empty Starbucks cups, Chick-fil-a boxes and anything else lying around and throw them away. Also, throw away those four-day-old La Cabana leftovers in the fridge; you’re not going to eat it. Sweep or vacuum your floors. Take out all your trash that you’ve accumulated while cleaning. Wash your dishes. Fold or hang up all the clean clothes you just washed and left in a chair to wrinkle. Having a clean environment to sleep and relax in is so important.

Eat enough food. Get enough sleep.

I feel like I’m running on coffee and power naps these days. Don’t let studying or anything else get in the way of your meals and sleep. You still need energy to get through your classes. Eat three meals a day (or two if you sleep through breakfast) and a snack when you need it. Long nights require lots of energy, and most of that energy comes from what you’re eating. So, try to eat healthy as often as possible. The other big source of your energy is sleep. We all feel better after a good night’s rest. Make sure you’re making time to sleep regularly each night. It makes a huge difference in how you feel the next day and your mood throughout the day.

You don’t need a puppy.

No matter how many adorable puppy faces you see on Instagram and Snapchat, you don’t need one. Everytime I see a picture of a dog, I want it. No ifs, ands or buts about it; I want it. I have puppy fever all the time. My mom is constantly reminding me how much work and money a dog would be on top of everything else I’m trying to keep up with or pay for already.

The semester is over halfway done. It’s easy to get behind and push everything off. Don’t be that person, though. It’s a lot harder to catch up than it is to do a little at a time. In case no one else is telling you, you’re doing great! Keep it up! Think of all the little things your mom would be reminding you of over the next couple of months, and give your mom a call during your free time. I’m sure she would love to hear from you.

Romans 5:8  I attend the University of Tennessee at Martin as a Psychology major. In my free time, I enjoy spending time with my friends, reading books, and taking naps. 
I am a pre-vet major who loves to laugh (especially at myself), drink coffee, and spend time with my dog, Cora. I moved from Massachusetts to Tennessee to attend college at UTM and compete for their division 1 rifle team.