Advice to a College Freshman from a College Senior

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

1. First Impressions

The first day of class is one of the most important days of class. I’m sure you have heard it a million times, but where you sit on the first day is actually important to professors. You don’t have to sit in the very front middle seat, but somewhere towards the front will be nice. Claim your seat for the rest of the semester. If you didn’t know, that seat where you sit on the first day is yours. Don’t forget it. Also, wear whatever you want. Dress the way you want to be perceived. I’m not saying wear a blazer the first week, but maybe don’t pull out the cutoffs and Norts just yet.

2. Syllabi and Emails and Textbooks

In each class, you will receive a syllabus, and they are super important. If you think you’re going to lose it, take a picture of it on your phone. This syllabus will have basically everything you need to know about your class! Please check your email at least once a day! Get them on your phone! Emails are super important in college. You don’t want to be that one kid that shows up to your 8:00 am and asks where everyone is. Your syllabus will also tell you what book you need, but make sure to ask the professor if the book is required! Some don’t use the book AT ALL while others live by it. If you have time, buy your books online! The bookstore prices are usually ridiculous, but they also price match, so get in on that, too. Renting is so much cheaper, but make sure to remember to send them back at the end of the year!

3. Major Classes

Make sure all of the classes you are taking are required for your major! Electives should be easy. Don’t waste your electives on hard classes that you didn’t know you didn’t need. You can find a list of the required classes for your major on the course catalog. If you are not sure, make sure to talk to your advisor, as well.

4. Parking

Okay, so everyone has heard how horrific traffic is on college campuses. Most places you’ll have to walk everywhere, but if you don’t live on campus, add an extra ten minutes into your routine in order to find a parking spot.

5. Help (me)

If you only take one thing away from this, know that it is totally okay to ask for help! Whether it’s talking to your professor, a librarian, a fellow classmate or a tutor, getting help will keep you from falling further behind. More than likely 80% of the class is just as confused as you are, so go find some help. Ask tutors, other classmates or even your professor; your professor may often take into consideration that you are trying to reach out for help when evaluating your final grade. There are people who can help you, you just have to do the asking!

6. Purge Day

Okay, so this is important. If you don’t pay your financial aid bill, you will be purged from your classes on this day. Purge days can be beneficial to some while detrimental to others. If you are not in a class you need, check back on purge day and see if you can get into those classes you need since some people will be kicked out of them!

7. Planners

Seriously, write important dates down! You don’t have to color code everything, but at least make yourself a note of when tests, papers and projects are due because some professors will not remind you about them.

8. Talk to Your Professors

Visit their office hours! If your professors learn your name with your face because you go and ask them questions, you will be more likely to get a good grade. At least this is how most professors work.

9. Drop/Withdrawals

Well, there may come a time when your only choice is to drop or withdrawal from a class. Make sure you write down the last day to drop a class without being penalized and make sure you talk to your advisor about dropping a class. Remember you have to have 12 hours to be considered full-time.

10. Involvement

Go out and get involved! Find organizations within your major. These will help you get a taste of what you’re studying while introducing you to future professors! You can also make friends within your major that you can utilize for study groups. Get to know these people because these are the people you will be seeing in your classes for the next four years.

11. Money

Everyone knows that college students are broke, but make sure to spend what little money you have wisely. Make sure you ask for student discounts wherever you go, and check to see what coupons are available.

12. Values

Don’t lose your values in college. College is hard, and some days you just want to sleep all day, but make sure you have a reality check every now and then. Whatever your beliefs are, stick to them.

13. Rainy Days

These are the worst days. All you want to do is sleep and drink hot chocolate, but whip out your rain boots and umbrella and go to class! On a real note, keep an umbrella close by on days when it’s supposed to rain unless you want to be dripping wet because you had to walk from one side of campus to the other in a severe thunderstorm. Fun fact: some professors will give you bonus points for attending on these days. (I have actually had this happen to me!)

14. Stress

Find ways to reduce your stress because we all know we’ll be stressed. Whether it’s taking a walk, going to the gym, reading a book or taking a shower, find a way to reduce your stress that works for you.

15. Study

This sounds like a no-brainer, but most college freshmen are shocked when they get their first test back. This isn’t high school anymore. I promise you will have to study. Utilize tutors, study groups, study sessions or whatever works for you. Buckle down and get those books open.

16. Call Home

This sounds dumb, but I promise that you should do it. Your family misses you! You may not think so, but trust me on this one.

17. Canceled Class vs. Skipping Class

Nothing is better than waking up and getting the email that your professor has canceled class; however, that’s totally different than just not going to class. There will be days when you can’t go, but don’t make skipping class a habit. It’s a hard one to get over. Also, make sure you know the attendance policy before you skip.

18. Finals Week

Please let me know if you have any advice because I haven’t figured this one out yet.

Photo courtesy of Pexels https://www.pexels.com/photo/adult-blur-books-close-up-261909/

Jesus will save you, sweetie. Just a girl that loves Jesus and cookies.