This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

When 2017 came to a close, I really wanted to give my boyfriend a present right as the clock struck the New Year. It took me a while to figure out what I wanted to give him. I didn’t want it to be just some random or typical gift he was used to. I wanted it to be something we could do and enjoy together. When I finally came up with the idea of “Our Jar,” I was so excited. As soon as 2018 was here, I handed my boyfriend a mason jar with one note inside, and on the top it said “365 Good Things”.

Our Jar is probably one of my favorite gifts I have ever given. It also is probably my favorite thing from 2018. Every single day one of us would put a note inside of Our Jar with something good that happened between us on that day. We took turns doing it and I think it came out pretty even. I don’t think either us minded doing it either!

The jar really helped me reflect and focus on the good. If I had a bad day or one of us hurt the other’s feelings, the jar helped resolve the problem, or at least allow us to go to bed on a happier note. Obviously a jar can’t fix all of your problems, but it really helped us at the end of the day see how much we love one another.

There was a trick to my gift though. Neither one of us could open what the other put inside the jar. I think that part was way harder for me than it was for him because I wanted to know what he put in there. It was all totally worth it in the end though.

When 2019 rolled around, we opened the jar together to bring in our New Year together. That was probably the sweetest and most romantic thing we have ever done together. Being able to read things that my boyfriend wrote throughout the whole year was incredible and made us both so happy. Opening 365 notes took a whole lot longer than I thought it would take though. It took us almost three days to open them all.

I 100% recommend doing this with your boyfriend, best friend or even for yourself at some point in your life. It really does change your outlook to a more positive view on things. One suggestion I have is that make sure your jar is big enough because all of our notes are now currently in a box because they wouldn’t fit back inside the jar!

I am an Agriculture Communications Major with a Minor in English at the University of Tennessee at Martin (Class of 2021).