This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utica chapter.

Why does it seem so impossible to work on that perfect figure you’ve been dreaming of while you’re in school? “I have no time to go to the gym.” “My dining commons don’t serve healthy food.” “The only snacks I can keep in my dorm is unhealthy food.” Well despite the popular belief, having a healthy lifestyle in college is not only possible, it isn’t as impractical as you may think. Here are a few pointers that can help you not only be healthier, but be more confident in yourself!

1. Drink, Drink, Drink!

As silly as it may sound, drinking enough water each day can make you feel so much more awake, alert and energized. Having a reusable water bottle on you makes you more motivated to drink throughout the day. If you are having trouble finishing the bottle, try making small goals for yourself. Draw lines on the bottle as checkpoints, or get a water bottle with the checkpoints already on it. Reaching those small checkpoints makes you feel so much more accomplished. Staying hydrated will help keep you motivated and clear-minded throughout the rest of your day.

2. Work it Out!

We are all making excuses that we don’t have enough time in our busy schedules to get to the gym, but we also like to make the gym a bigger ordeal than it needs to be! Walking on an inclined treadmill while studying for your Anatomy exam works both your body and your brain. Working out doesn’t need to be such an inconvenience from your busy schedule. Waking up an hour early to get a quick run in will get your day started sooner, and give you that sense of accomplishment. What better way to get your day started than with a workout and study session already under your belt?

3. Snack Time!

Yes, it is important to try and limit your snacking, but let’s be honest, we get hungry. Snacks can be a great way to hold you over from one meal to another. Some easy, healthy snacks such as carrots, celery, bananas and peanut butter, apples, whole grain tortilla chips with hummus, unsalted popcorn and even mixed nuts all give you the energy you need to make it through the day. We all know that college is expensive and we have the common issue of being on a budget. Luckily, your dining commons can supply you with an endless supply of fruits and vegetables to grab when you’re in a rush. An apple a day keeps the Freshman 15 away!

4. Get Some Shut Eye

I understand that college is stressful which results in many restless nights with study sessions at 2am, but it is important that you get a good night’s sleep. Not only does getting enough sleep help you stay focused the next day, it helps you retain information you learned and studied the night before, helps with anxiety and stress levels, and also can help you lose weight! Lack of sleep is known to cause weight gain, so get to sleep early so you can have a productive day when you wake up!

5. Treat Yo Self

Let’s face it, we aren’t perfect. Sometimes we slip up on our lifestyle changes and it’ okay. It is important to have a cheat day, or else we will get so needy for something sugary or salty, the second we get our hands on it, we indulge too much. It’s okay to spend Saturday with the girls and have endless chips and salsa or stay up with your friends and open up the carton of ice cream during a movie night. Everything is good in moderation, so rewarding yourself with some of your favorite treats after a long week is something you should not feel shame in doing.

College is a time where we are given the freedom to reinvent ourselves. This is the opportunity to truly be who we want to be. Why not take this chance to start to better yourself? Not only will you feel better physically, but you will definitely feel better about yourself and be more confident in the way you look. Don’t forget that it isn’t an overnight process. It does take dedication and hard work to get your body to where you want it to be. Don’t be discouraged when the results are not instantaneous. Stick with it and you will definitely look in the mirror and see someone you are proud of!