absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Your New Favorite Pumpkin Bread Recipe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

The beginning of fall and the middle of October can only mean one thing — pumpkin season! Now, a lot of people may be sick of seeing pumpkin flavored items everywhere they go, and while I can understand that, I want you to give the whole pumpkin thing one last chance because I have a pumpkin bread recipe that you just have to try. Not only is this recipe super tasty, it’s also a healthier version of classic pumpkin bread, it’s easy to make, and a lot of the ingredients are interchangeable so you can use what you have on hand at home! Whether you’re new to baking or bake on the daily, you’ll love this recipe! 

Here are the ingredients and measurements for this healthier (chocolate chip) pumpkin bread: 

• 1 cup pumpkin puree / canned pumpkin (I used Trader Joe’s canned pumpkin)

• 2 eggs

• 3 tbsp coconut oil

• ¼ cup maple syrup (add another tablespoon or two if you want your bread to be on the sweeter side!)

• ¾ cup oat flour*

• ¼ cup whole wheat flour**

• ½ tsp cinnamon 

• ½ tsp pumpkin spice (I used Trader Joe’s pumpkin pie spice)

• ½ tsp baking soda

• (Optional) dark chocolate chips/chunks***

*I make my own oat flour at home. I buy old fashioned rolled oats from the grocery store, then just blend the oats in a blender (you could use a food processor as well) at home. It’s super simple and inexpensive! 

**I used 1 cup of flour total, but I used two different types of flour. If you prefer to use just one or only have one on hand, that would work just fine. 1 cup of oat flour, 1 cup of whole wheat flour, or 1 cup of regular all-purpose flour will do! 

***I chopped up a few pieces of a dark chocolate bar I had and mixed those in, but you could use dark chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips, etc. You could also omit the chocolate all together and mix in some nuts like walnuts or pecans! 

Baking Instructions: 

1. Preheat oven to 375F and prepare a loaf pan with parchment paper or a non-stick cooking spray.

2. In a bowl, mix together the pumpkin puree, eggs, coconut oil, and maple syrup.

3. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cinnamon, pumpkin spice, and baking soda. 

4. Add the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients and mix until combined.

5. Fold in chocolate chips/chopped up chocolate.

6. Bake for ~45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when placed in the center of the bread. 

7. Let cool for ~5 minutes, then enjoy! 

The chocolate got a little messy, but just look at the texture!

I have learned over time that baking is a lot of trial and error. However, I personally think that’s part of the fun, and the learning process! I have had my fair share of recipes that I will try and think “what the heck did I just make?” I’ve also had recipes that I don’t even want to taste because they’re too mushy, dry, or they’re just sort of falling apart. So, what I’m trying to say is that if you try this recipe, or begin to try baking in general, and it doesn’t work out perfectly, don’t be discouraged. Instead just give it another go! It’s true what they say: practice makes perfect. Fortunately, though, this recipe isn’t too complicated, and I have to say it tastes pretty good. Plus, you can give some to your friends and family to impress them with your baking skills. (That is if you’re willing to share; you may want to save it all for yourself.) So, now that you’ve read all of this, go grab your ingredients because it’s your turn!  

P.S. to make this bread even better serve it warm and add some peanut butter (or any nut butter) on top. You won’t regret it. Happy baking!

Senior majoring in Communication and minoring in Spanish :)
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor