The Women’s March: A Day That Should Never End

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

It has only been a little over a week since the march that united many. The 2017 Women’s March came a day after President Trump came into office after a campaign that perpetuated hate and fear. Finally, we the people had had enough. Hundred’s of thousands came together on January 21st to make their voice be heard. This protest was not one strictly for women or about women, as the name suggests; the march was there to promote these important causes:

• Women’s rights
  • Immigration reform
  • Healthcare reform

And fight the hate perpetuated by:

• Islamophobia
  • Rape culture
  • LGBTQ abuse
  • Racial inequalities

It was a day to promote love and equality and fight bullying and fear. It was one of the few days that I have been proud to live in the community I live in. After election results that tore apart communities and friendships because no one cared enough about the other it was amazing to see groups come together to fight for one another. Of course, there was opposition both in person and online, but the marches were enough. Enough to keep the conversation going, enough to show we are strong, and enough to remind our neighbors that we care about them.

Photos by Abeni Czajkowski

We need to keep reminding each other to bring positivity into our communities. Since the women’s march there have been several protests, petitions, and outcries. We need to remember that there are people who are scared of being deported, women who are scared of losing rights, millions who are fearful of losing health care, and so many more fears. But these fears are not what drive a nation, it is the friend who listens and the neighbor that marches that makes sure we succeed.

I am a current journalism student at the University of Utah. I have spent my years in college studying, traveling, and writing. I am a campus writer for the University of Utah and have my own blog Beautiful Detour. If I am not on campus I am hopefully off in another country meeting new people...or lying in my bed under a million blankets watching that day's netflix binge.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor