Why You Shouldn’t Give up on Your Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

A new relationship that is just formed and growing is fun and exciting. That feeling of butterflies every time you are around each other is the most incredible feeling. You never want to be apart from each other and every minute that you are together is so precious to you. For me, I always invest much of my time and heart into new things that are intriguing to me. So much so, that it leaves me feeling very vulnerable. But, that is just how new relationships are, two people breaking down each other’s wall and feeling vulnerable to one another.

Once past the “honeymoon phase,” you notice yourself becoming more comfortable around each other. Your guard may not be completely down yet, but your trust is growing and you find that you can be yourself around each other. You are opening up and learning more about yourself than you may realize. It also can become scary. You are not afraid to be real with each other. Honestly, at times it may get boring, the fights may be overwhelming, but, if you put in the effort and fight to hold on, it can become even more beautiful than when it began. 

I started dating my boyfriend my junior year of high school. We were somewhat friends to begin with, so we had a nice friendship established already- helpful to a healthy relationship. Of course, we still got those feelings and butterflies when we first started going out like any other new relationship that is just starting out.

We spent most of our time with and around each other in the first few months. We were crazy about each other and had very strong feelings.

After our “honeymoon phase” ended, things between us were still good. We were still with each other a lot. We were starting to become more comfortable around each other. We were also becoming very honest and open, and we started to get in arguments quite often. It felt like there was never a time that we were not fighting or upset about something. But we knew that we didn’t want to lose each other and end it solely because of our silly fights.

The end of our senior year was our hardest. We were facing college and him moving away with his family to Florida. The fights continued. We did not know how to handle what we were about face. Him being 2,000 miles away seemed almost impossible and the fights were overwhelming, but our feelings were still as strong as the first day we started talking, if not stronger.

Summer came and went, and before we knew it, we were supposed to say goodbye. It was the hardest thing we had to go through yet. But our feelings for each other were still strong.

Long distance was a new, scary challenge we were forced to face. Unfortunately, it led to us taking some time away from each other for our first month of college. Devastated, I couldn’t imagine college without him, even if he wasn’t physically there with me. I knew that he needed this time to figure out what he truly wanted. I knew deep down that it wasn’t the end for us, and deep down, he knew that too.

A month after our breakup, we came to the conclusion that we couldn’t live without each other. We saw other people during that time, and it just was not the same.

The time that we were a part did cause more fights during the time that we started getting back together. We finally realized that the fights happened and would continue you happen because we love each other so much and care about our relationship with each other.

I have been told that I shouldn’t be in a relationship with that much arguing, that it is not healthy. I say, however, it’s what makes your relationship grow. Now, our sophomore year of college, 2,000 miles apart, we are better than ever before. He is my best friend, my soulmate. We share great respect for one another and rarely argue. We have grown with each other.

From the moment we got together to now, our feelings for each other have been so strong. We knew we wanted each other and that was it.

Relationships are hard. Especially once you break down those walls and become vulnerable. I believe that, if you want each other, you cannot let those silly fights take control and tear your relationship apart. Take it from me, people probably thought I was crazy for staying in a relationship that involved so much arguing. You need to be able to look past the negative and understand that the love is there. Just because something is broken, doesn’t mean that it can’t be fixed.

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor