This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

With the New Year right around the corner, it’s the season of resolutions. Soon the gyms will be filled with people trying to fulfill their 2022 goals of getting in shape or working out more often. If you’re one of these people, I applaud your initiative! And I also have a great option for sticking with it — that option being an indoor cycling class. 

A workout that will make you sweat and leave you sore, spin classes are a mix of cardio and strength training, and there are so many ways to do them, such as free rides on YouTube, classes held at the gym, or actual cycling studios. The beauty of these classes is that it’s up to you how easy or difficult your workout will be. The resistance knob on your bike determines how difficult it is to turn the pedals. So no matter where you are in your fitness journey, a cycling class is a great option. According to Healthline, “Indoor cycling classes are as challenging as they are exhilarating. Benefits of a class include weight loss, improved strength, and endurance.”

To start your spin class journey, I’d recommend going to the Student Life Center on campus and riding one of the dozen stationary bikes on the second and third floors. Every University of Utah student gets into the Student Life Center for free, and cycling inside for 20 minutes or so will familiarize you with the bike, making you more comfortable in the future. 

The next step is to sign up for a class. You can purchase a fitness pass for $32 dollars, which will allow you to attend any fitness class offered at the Student Life Center. Or you can choose to pay $5 per class if you’d rather take it one at a time. There are two cycling classes offered at the Student Life Center, Cycle 45 and Cycle and Strength. Cycle 45 is a 45 minute ride and is offered in the morning three days a week. Cycle and Strength is offered in the evenings two days a week, and is an hour-long ride. These classes may sound daunting, but the instructors are helpful and there is always upbeat music, creating an encouraging yet comfortable atmosphere. 

So, the secret’s out. Although I’d love to gatekeep my favorite thing to do at the gym, I can’t resist telling anyone and everyone how much I love going to spin classes. Adding a cycling class to my daily routine keeps me feeling motivated and accomplished throughout the day. I have also gained confidence in myself. The first few classes were exhausting, but as I have stuck with it, I have become stronger and mastered some moves in class, such as jumps and hovers. I always feel extra badass when I’m on my bike pedaling along with a dozen other people. And I’d recommend a Celsius drink afterwards to set the tone for a great day. 

So I say try it out! You just might discover your new favorite exercise activity.

Work Cited

Cronkleton, Emily. “The Benefits of an Indoor Cycling Class, Muscles Worked & Tips.” Healthline, Healthline Media, 17 May 2019, https://www.healthline.com/health/benefits-of-a-spin-class#benefits.

Tyler is a second-year student at the University of Utah studying Health and Kinesiology and Nutrition Sciences. She loves spending time at the lake, reading romance novels, listening to podcasts, and her two Australian Shepherd's.