Why You Should Go Greek at the U

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

SORORITY RECRUITMENT IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER!

If you are a Freshman at the U, a transfer student or just a student looking for a community within our large university, Greek Life might be just what you are looking for!

The Greek community at the U is small

The six sororities here at the University of Utah include: Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Phi, Chi Omega, Delta Gamma, Kappa Kappa Gamma and Pi Beta Phi. Because there are only six Panhellenic sororities at the University of Utah, it feels like a “real community,” one where you actually have friends in every house. An added bonus is being able to see people in your classes from other sororities, and instantly haing someone to sit by and work on group projects. Panhellenic love is very present at the University of Utah and it is truly one of the best things ever.

You make friends that last a lifetime

The friends that you meet through Greek life are definitely lasting ones. From formals and sisterhoods in college to going on girls trips and being bridesmaids post-grad, these ladies will stand by you through the thick and the thin. They were there for you during your most vulnerable and life-changing years in college, and they will be there for you through everything else life throws at you

It helps make the HUGE University of Utah feel a little smaller

The University of Utah has over 30,000 students. With that, it can be hard to find people and make friends in a school that big. But going through sorority recruitment makes it much, much easier. Once you join, you have 100 girls who are all there for you and want to get to know you. Study buddies, late night burrito runs and trips to the farmers market. Anything that you want to do, there will ALWAYS be someone ready to do it with you. And no, not everyone is friends all of the time. But your sisters always have your back. That’s what sisterhood is really all about.

It is a great place to network

When you leave college and enter the real world, having been in a sorority will 100% help you get jobs. SO many women were members of Greek organizations, and chances are, no matter what field you’re in,  there is at least one sorority alum. Being in a sorority gives you an immediate connection to someone you might not have had one with otherwise. You share this special bond that only sorority women have. You know exactly what it’s like to be a part of a sisterhood and to care about other women’s successes. This will show her how you might act in the workplace, and will definitely help you out professionally in the long run.

The signups for recruitment close on Friday, August 31 at 5pm! Sign up while you still can! Go Greek!

Photo Source: 1, 2, 3, 4

Kim Davison is a recent graduate from the University of Utah that double majored in Theatre and Communications. She was the President of Her Campus Utah and a Chapter Advisor, a Campus Expansion Assistant and a Her Campus Ambassador Advisor for Her Campus Nationals. Kim loves theatre, event planning, dachshunds and strives to live her life every day to make Leslie Knope proud. She is currently searching to jobs in the media industry and is excited to see where life takes her!