Why Capitol Reef is the Best National Park in Utah

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Utah is known for a few things… Snow, Mormons, and the National Parks. But why is it that we never hear about Capitol Reef National Park? After noticing that I never heard anything about Capitol Reef, I decided to do some research and go down there myself to check it out and holy moly, I was not expecting to fall in love while I was there. 

For some reason, Captiol Reef is brushed under the rug when thinking about where to travel throughout Utah. Maybe it’s because it is not close to any other parks. Or maybe it’s because the people who do go there don’t tell anyone how amazing it is because they want to keep it all to themselves. Well, I’m not that person. I’m telling you that going to Capitol Reef is 100% worth your time. 

For starters, if you like camping, there are plenty of campgrounds that let you pitch a tent right in the middle of all the glory. Seriously, if you want to look out your tent window and see castles made of red rock right next to you, this is where it is at. I reccommend Fruita Campground because it is also right next to a river!

Secondly, do I have any hikers in the house? There are countless hikes that range from short to long and easy to hard to choose from. Just asking the visitor center for a map, you will see plenty of options regardless of how good you are at hiking or who you’re with. And the great thing is, no matter what hike you do, you are bound to have a beautiful experience. Each hike is unique and leaves a lot of room for individual exploration. Keep your eyes open for secret pathways and hidden caves!

Another great thing about Capitol Reef is that because not a lot of people take the time to visit here, and because there are so many hikes to choose from, the trails aren’t packed with people. This is one of my pet peeves about national parks. I know that they are there for everybody to enjoy but it makes it hard to focus on the beauty around you when there are screaming kids everywhere and groups of tourists flashing their cameras at everything they see.  

I know this is a small detail, but for all my people who live in Salt Lake City, it really isn’t that far either! It is the closest national park to us, making it perfect for a weekend getaway. 

I know these are just a few reasons why I think Capitol Reef is the best, but there is only so much I can put into words to try and explain to you just how amazing it is. It is by far the most underrated place I’ve visited and highly reccomend anyone who loves the outdoors to pay it a visit. 

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor