jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

When Life Gives You Lemons, Turn Around and Punch Life in the Face

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

“When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.” 

Okay. But what if you don’t like lemonade? What if lemonade gives you hives? What if you’d rather have coffee?  

Alright, so the saying isn’t actually talking about lemonade. But that doesn’t make the taste any less sour. Life is going to throw some unexpected curves at you; there is no denying it, and you can pretend that everything is within your control. You can convince yourself that you are prepared for every possible twist and turn in the road, that you have so thoroughly mapped out your path that there is no chance of you ever losing your way. But there will come a time when you’re going to be standing in the middle of that road, completely dumbfounded and harboring a nasty headache because life has just dropped a whole freakin’ lemon branch on your head and you sure as hell didn’t see it coming. 

You’re going to be dealt some pretty nasty lemons in your time. Maybe you already have been, but you don’t always have to turn the lemons into lemonade. Turn them into jello. Turn them into whiskey. Defy physics and turn those lemons into anything you want, because that is something that is in your power. You can’t control when the lemon falls into your lap–but you can control what you do with them. So maybe you got stopped in your tracks while walking down your road; maybe you got turned around, confused, and a little lost. But here’s the cool part: you get to pick a different direction, any direction you want, and you get to keep going. It might not be the direction you were planning–it might not have even been a blip on your map before, but maybe it was always the right direction to take. And maybe you never would have realized that if not for those damn lemons. 

So no, when life gives you lemons, you don’t have to make lemonade. Don’t ever let anyone tell you what to make of your own problems. You get to make anything you want with them, because it’s your life and it’s your road, and you get to pick the direction you take. And sure, you might get turned around every once in a while, but that’s okay because there’s always going to be a new path waiting for you that you never noticed before, and who knows, it might even be lemon-free. 

I've been told that I look like a young Will Smith, except white, female and with completely different facial features.  Please contact me if you want to send me pictures of your dog. It is greatly appreciated. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor