What You Didn’t Know About Miss America

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

One night a year, the country tunes in to see women from all across the country compete in various competitions: Lifestyle and Fitness in Swimsuit, Evening Wear, Talent, and the infamous Onstage Question. What is it? Miss America.

Everyone is familiar with the quintessential icon, and all the stereotypes that accompany her… but most everyone perceives Miss America pageant as an annual competition that only occurs on one night. In reality, there’s so much more to it.

1. It’s More than Just One Night of Competition

Growing up, I always believed that Miss America only took place on the night it’s broadcasted nationally, and I think most people think the same. The truth is that there are several competitions leading up to it! In order to compete at Miss America, you must first compete at a local city level. If you win the title, then you advance to the state level. State competitions can have anywhere from eight to fifty girls competing, and so many state pageants are like a mini Miss America pageant. Of course, if you win at the state level, then you are given the opportunity to compete for the coveted Miss America crown.

When competing at the state and national level, there are also three nights of preliminary competition leading up to the final crowning moment. That means all of those girls you feel bad for when their names are not called into the Top Fifteen actually did get a chance to perform…you just didn’t get to see them.

2. “It’s a Scholarship Program!”

It really is! The winner of the Miss America pageant is awarded a $50,000.00 scholarship. Yes, you read that right. Not only does Miss America receive a hefty amount of scholarship funds, but local, state, and other national competitors do as well. In fact, many women compete in the Miss America organization for the sole purpose of financing their college educations and many – if not most of them – do it without winning the state or national titles.

3. “And…World Peace!”

Imagine you’re standing in front of hundreds of people, the lights are shining brightly on your face, and all eyes are on you as you are asked a question about healthcare in America. Oh, and did I mention you have less than twenty seconds to answer? That gives you a taste of what the Miss America contestants – and pageant girls in general – experience during this portion of the competition. It’s the competition that receives the most criticism from the outside observers because it’s easy so criticize when you’re seated comfortably on a couch, and have the opportunity to fully analyze every angle of the question. I know, I’ve been guilty of it too. But seriously, let’s give these women a break! Contestants are labeled as “bimbos” or “airheads” for fumbling over their words, or being unable to think of a response, but can we blame them? It’s not that they’re not intelligent or haven’t done their research, it’s just that the pressure of the moment weighs down on them. They should be applauded simply for the fact that they don’t curl up into the fetal position!

4. Female Empowerment

The pageant has garnered plenty of controversy regarding female objectification in the 1960s and 70s, with people labeling the contest as a “cattle show,” hosting protests outside the convention center, and others dubbing it a contest solely based on physical appearance. In its infancy, it really was all about the “bathing beauty” contest, but Miss America has progressed since 1921; she has become a leading lady of female empowerment.

Miss America contestants – like Miss Massachusetts 2016 – have attended Ivy League schools. Many have multiple degrees – Miss America 2015 Kira Kazantsev was a triple major at Hofstra University – and many pursue careers in law, medicine, STEM fields, and business.

Additionally, the ten-minute interview portion of the competition encourages contestants to be well informed on current events, and have concrete opinions on them. Preparing for the ten-minute interview helps women achieve interview and communication skills that prove extremely beneficial in the job field, and as a leader in general.

Former Miss Americas such as Gretchen Carlson, Heather French, Vanessa Williams, and Lee Meriwether, are still visible and successful today due to the initial drive the MAO gave them.

Another thing to keep in mind, the actual competition occurs only during one week out of the entire year! That is the ONLY time Miss America wears a swimsuit in public and competes. For the other 51 weeks of the year, she is traveling every 48 hours to visit a new city or state to actually serve people. Essentially, Miss America is a job, and that job entails community service, and serving as a role model for independent women of America.

5. “The Platform” that Decimated “The Pedestal”

In the past, Miss America was seen as a queen on a pedestal, but what truly knocked Miss America off it was “the platform.” Every contestant in the Miss America organization selects an issue she wants to address in her community, and she takes action! Some common platforms are suicide awareness and prevention, eating disorder awareness, sexual trafficking prevention and awareness, and domestic violence prevention. Miss America 2016 Betty Cantrell’s platform was “Healthy Children, Strong America.” Growing up on a farm, Betty learned the importance of fresh food, and she shared that with children throughout her year. Miss America 2014, Nina Davuluri, promoted her platform of inclusion and diversity as the first Indian-American Miss America. Platforms truly give Miss America – and all members of the organization – a larger purpose than sitting still and looking pretty.

Aside from each Miss America member’s personal platform, MAO is partnered with Children’s Miracle Network hospitals. Miss America visits these hospitals on a regular basis, and actually gets to know the kids; she doesn’t just visit for a photo op. And not only is Miss America involved, but all the individual members of the organization raise money for CMN hospitals. Miss America contestants on their own have raised over 17 million dollars collectively. Wow.

The world is progressing in different directions, and Miss America is progressing with it. It offers women opportunities to advocate for issues their passionate about, engage in community service, and simultaneously finance their college degrees. Basically, the organization is indisputably incredible, and if you have the opportunity…GET INVOLVED!

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor