What It’s Like to be a First Time Voter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Being a first time voter is exciting, especially in the 2016 election. This election is such a big deal because the outcome will change America forever. Knowing all of that is pretty intense, so being a first time voter it is likely you will feel ALL the feels at some point or another. Here are some things that you might feel before November 8th roles around. 

1. Excitement: You’re losing your voting virginity!!

Girllllll, you finally get to vote! Voting for the first time can be very exciting. After years of seeing all of the crazy politics in the news and not being able to do anything about it, now you finally have a say! Walk into that polling place with your shoulders back and your head held high, fill out your ballot and BAM. You just voted in the 2016 Presidential election. 

2. Confusion: Who the hell do you vote for?

When it comes to the presidential canidates there are two very different choices you can make. Doing research is SO important your first time voting. Don’t just listen to the media. Look online about what each person stands for and find the canidate that you think will be the best for the job.

3. Overwhelmed: This election is cray.

Let’s face it. This entire election has been INSANE. From Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton to Donald Trump and Ted Cruz, its been a wild ride. But here we are, days away from the election and it could still go either way. Elections in the past have been close, but the two canidates have never been more opposite. No matter what happens, there is going to be some backlash, but don’t let that stop you from voting. Try to focus on supporting the canidate of your choice because you believe in them and what they want to do for our country.

4. Scared: Does your vote even count?

People always think that their vote doesn’t count, until it does. Sometimes, depending what party you are in, your vote might count less than others just because of the state we are in. But this year Utah is a swing state, which means that it could end up swinging democrat, republican OR independant. So this year your vote DEFINITELY counts!

5. Sad: Bye Barack and Michelle… We’ll miss you.

Saying goodbye to the Obamas is going to be hard, so just do it quick like bandaid. We all know that they are the definition of couples goals; I mean, just look at them. We’ve all grown up looking up to them and seeing their daughters grow up just like us. They are funny, loveable and most of all, relateable. What more could you ask for from a first couple? We’ll miss you, but you will always be in our hearts.

6. Satisfied: You are making your voice heard.

You should be proud to be a first time voter! This is the first time your opinions are viewed on a big scale. The more involved you get in the election the more fun it will be! Go to a rally or volunteer for your canidates campaign. Your vote does matter in this extremely important election. November 8th is right around the corner, get out there and vote!!! You only vote for the first time once, so make sure that it counts. 

Kim Davison is a recent graduate from the University of Utah that double majored in Theatre and Communications. She was the President of Her Campus Utah and a Chapter Advisor, a Campus Expansion Assistant and a Her Campus Ambassador Advisor for Her Campus Nationals. Kim loves theatre, event planning, dachshunds and strives to live her life every day to make Leslie Knope proud. She is currently searching to jobs in the media industry and is excited to see where life takes her!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor