This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

I have always been told that I am smart. If you look at my grades, you would probably agree. I had a 4.0 in high school and currently have a 4.0 in college. The lowest grade I have ever received was a B+ in some computer class in middle school, so yes, I am smart. However, there is so much that comes along with being “smart,” including the fact that I don’t know a lot of things.

Firstly, let us talk about the perks of being considered intelligent. A big reason for getting good grades is the fact that you can get more scholarships and who doesn’t like money. Another useful aspect of being smart is for future careers. Having a 4.0 does show employers that you are a person who works hard and makes them want to hire you more.  To get good grades in college, you most likely have a good work ethic and time management making you a good candidate. Employers will also probably assume that you will know what you are doing, meaning less time spent training for them. Finally, all the good emotions that come with getting good grades. You can feel more confident. You get a boost of happiness whenever you get positive feedback. There is a ton of satisfaction that comes with working hard for something then doing well such as spending weeks working on an essay and then getting an A on it or getting the highest score on a test after countless hours spent studying. However, it is spending all that time on project after project to get good grades that can be exhausting which leads to the parts about being smart which suck.

As I mentioned, you spend so much time and energy spent on homework, extra credit, studying and so on that you can get burnt out quickly, and you also don’t have much time for other things you enjoy especially if you have a job. Weekends are filled with projects and reading. You are often lucky if you make it to the store for food. Also, good luck with maintaining a decent social life, and expect any friends you do have to ask for your help with their homework. Also, everyone expects you to do well in school and living up to the standard of doing well on every assignment is an enormous amount of pressure. People don’t wish you good luck on tests; instead, it’s, “You’re smart. You’ll do great.” Finally, there is the fact that you might feel like you know nothing. Yes, you are passing your classes but what the real world? You question everything: your faith, your relationships, what taxes even are. You find it hard to keep up with all the new shows, fashion, politics, and memes. So maybe being smart isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.

Now not all of this will apply to every smart person. Some people are just insanely good at taking tests, and some people are great at compartmentalizing life, but hopefully, this gives you a glimpse at what is going on in a so-called smart person’s life. Maybe this article is something you share with friends and family, so they finally understand that being smart isn’t all it is cracked up to be, or perhaps this article helps you come to terms with who you are and what you want to change in your life. 

Picture 1, 2

Hello! I am Sydney and I am a freshman at the University of Utah! Go Utes!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor