rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What I Wish My Friends Knew About My Busy Schedule

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

For me, having a completely packed schedule is the most rewarding, exhausting, and emotional enduring part of college. It requires a lot of prioritizing, organization, and taking it one thing at a time to not go completely crazy! Most everyone is supportive, but sometimes having to say, “I’m too busy” can feel tiresome and like I’m not having the college experience that everyone else is. These are 6 things I wish my friends knew about the struggles of having a busy schedule:

1. Don’t take it personally if I can’t always go out.

When you are as busy as I am, sacrifices have to be made and unfortunately the Friday-night parties might be the first to go! But trust me, if I decide to stay in and study or am working late at night I am always wishing I could be there! FOMO is real.  You have to realize that I know myself better than anyone else, and there are times that I can feel that I need to decompress. After an extremely busy week, sometimes I need to take a night in when I have absolutely nothing to do. It’s not that I don’t want to go out with you, it’s that I need to listen to my body! You’re always welcome to stay in and watch Netflix with me!

2. An invite is always nice.

There have been times that the excuse for me not getting invited to something is, ‘we just figured you would be too busy.’ I understand it may be frustrating inviting someone just to have them say no, but I promise when I can go I definitely will and it’s always nice to feel wanted!

3. When you question why I have a busy schedule it makes me feel bad.

I have had friends who have been hard on me when I say I need to stay in and do homework or that I have work. Comments like ‘well why wouldn’t you study throughout the week instead of now?’ or ‘why don’t you work less?’ can be really hurtful for someone who doesn’t have a choice. I wish I didn’t have any priorities and that I could socialize whenever I wanted, but hearing someone be so disappointed makes me feel even worst. 

4. My commitments are really important to me. 

I’ve always had the mentality that having a ridiculously busy schedule is the only way to have a fulfilled life. (Don’t worry, I am learning that this isn’t the case!) I know you might not understand why I take on so many commitments, but all I can think about is my end goal. I have so many dreams in life and they constantly run through my head and are what push me forward. I know that you have warned me about taking on too much, and it is something I am really working on, but also remember that where I am choosing to spend my time is really important to me! 

5. Just because we don’t talk everyday doesn’t mean that I don’t care.

Sometimes even picking up my phone feels like too much work after a long day, let alone texting or calling someone on it! I am sorry if we go a little bit without talking or if it takes me a little longer to reply to a text. I promise I am still thinking about you and will try to reach out as much as possible

6. If you ever need me, no matter what, I will be there for you.

It doesn’t matter how busy I am, if a friend calls me in need I would be there in seconds. I have many other priorities, but being there for my friends would always be first over everything! You are just as important as everything else! 

Thank you for being there for me during the good, the bad, and most importantly, the busy

Brandi Lyn Johnson20 years old... but a child at heart. Pre-Nursing Major and working at Primary Children's Hospital.Changing the world one Netflix Series at a time.I think dogs are better than humans.I don't like the dark.  
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor