What I’m Thankful for This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Thanksgiving, the national holiday revolving around great food, family, friends, and most importantly, gratitude. Since one of the best holidays is tomorrow, I thought it would be most appropriate to speak about thankfulness and how grateful I am to have the things that are in my life and the learning experiences I have gone through that have only made my life better. I think it’s super important to take a step back sometimes and look at the bigger picture. I know that at times jobs, school, and our personal lives can feel overwhelming, but the holiday season definitely helps oneself acknowledge the good that has come out of this thing we call life. 

Family

Ever since I was young, family values have been a personal moral that stands high in my family. I grew up in a tight-knit family where we did everything together, whether it was hanging out at the dinner table talking about life or going to watch a movie on a Sunday afternoon. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve realized how grateful I am for the family I have and how supportive they are of the decisions I make. They’re there to motivate and encourage me on the good days and also to comfort me on the bad, and for that I am grateful. Family means so much to me; without them, I don’t know what I would do.

Friends

Like family, friends have also been of huge importance in my life. They understand you like no one else. Since starting college, I have realized how important it is to surround yourself with others that are going through the same things as you are. College is such a fun, stressful, and rewarding time in one’s life, and it’s even better when you’re spending it with best friends that completely understand what’s going on in your life at the moment because they are experiencing the same things. 

School

Although I may say I hate school 50% of the time because of the stress of it all, deep down I am so grateful that I am in college receiving a higher education. Sometimes I don’t even realize how lucky I am to be where I am. Sure, I still have a long way to go careerwise, but so many before me (like my parents) never had the chance to go to a university. Higher education is such a privilege that I sometimes feel that I don’t deserve. My parents have worked so hard so that my siblings and I can receive the education they never did, and because of their sacrifices, I am filled with gratitude everyday for my parents and for the school I go to that have given me these opportunities.

Health

At times, we don’t pay attention or even acknowledge the positive things we have in life. Health is something that I am so thankful for, both physically and mentally. Our bodies and minds are the foundations of ourselves and of what we truly are, so it’s important to take care of them both. For the most part, the holidays allow us to take a break from everything, so if I were you, take a nap or two and don’t feel guilty about it — you probably need it. 

Work

These days, my job is something that I am so happy about. I work at a place where I feel at home. I am surrounded by positive people that come to work everyday to make one’s own day better. There is nothing more fulfilling than working at a place where their values reflect your own. Work isn’t draining when you’re content with what you’re doing. I’m just lucky to have a job where I’m pleased with how I’m doing. 

My Life 

Life is a cumulation of everything one goes through. It can be beautiful, but unfortunately, it can also be ugly. I try my best to look at the positive in any situation, but at times one can’t help themselves but to view it through a negative perspective. For the most part, my life has been positive, filled with good feelings, supportive friends and family, new opportunities, good education, and so much love.

Like I said earlier, the holiday season definitely brings out the gratitude one has for the life they live and also a sense of thankfulness for how much luck one has received in their lifetime. I hope that this article has inspired you to think about what you’re thankful for and to keep those things close to your heart, because in the end, it’s all that matters.    

Image: 1

President of Her Campus Utah and Senior at the University of Utah.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor