Career

Tips for Finding a Job Before Graduation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

With graduation for Spring 2018 just under two months away, a lot of people are searching for jobs right now. Jobs are also looking for soon to be grads, so it’s a great time to start looking for a career now! Yes, it can all seem a little overwhelming, but don’t worry, you can totally handle it! Make use of these tips and the university’s Career & Professional Development Center to help you find your dream job.

Start looking for the jobs you want

The first step can always be the scariest. Once you start looking for jobs you want, you are well on your way! Make use of websites like LinkedIn, Indeed, and the UCareer Path on your CIS page for job listings. Try not to apply for every job available. Save the jobs that you truly see yourself in, and then work your resume and cover letter to be specific for the position.

Network, Network, NETWORK

If you can’t find an opening for the perfect job, look at places you do want to work, and connect with those who work there. For example; go onto the company’s LinkedIn and message someone currently employed. Ask questions, and get to know the person,. Let them know you’re interested in working at that job. Also,  sure to also make use of the connections you already have! Connect with old co-workers, friends, or professors who can direct you to students that have gone into your desired field. By making these connections, you can find out about jobs before they even get listed!

Write down your strengths, and what you have gained from your major.

By doing this, you can get some ideas for what you want to put in your resume and cover letter, as well as what you may want to say in your interview with a potential employer. It also lets you see how far you’ve come, and what you have accomplished during your time in school. This can take off a lot of pressure, and make you feel more qualified for what jobs you want to apply for.

Clean up your resume and work on your cover letter

You can make use of the University of Utah’s Career & Professional Development Center to look over documents like your resume and cover letter. Just bring a print copy in during office hours, or email it over to them! If you haven’t made a resume or cover letter yet, you can use their website for examples of resumes based on your major, or make a meeting with your career counselor.

Make an Appointment with your Career Counselor

Your career coach is here to help you! In fact, the University of Utah lets you continue to see your career coach up until a year after you graduate. They can help you every step of the way in trying to find a job, or can even help you if you are considering grad school. I have started seeing my career coach this semester, and it has made a world of a difference. She has helped me look for connections, clean up my LinkedIn page, and build my confidence in finding the career I want. Make use of this great resource included with your tuition!

Don’t worry so much about what will happen after graduation. Focus on now, and how far you have come in your journey at the University. This will relieve a lot of pressure, and help you move forward!

University of Utah Career & Professional Development Center

http://careers.utah.edu/

350 Student Services Building 201 S. 1460 E. Room 350  Salt Lake City, Utah 84112

M – F, 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM

(801) 581-6186

main 1 2 3 

Senior at the University of Utah majoring in being crunchy  My hobbies include watching Chopped while on the treadmill, going to brunch places too hip for me, and enjoying The Golden Girls. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor