This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

I recently chopped my lengthy locks and took off around 10 inches in hopes of simplifying my look for work. I opted for a blond lob in contrast to my long blonde wavy style. I was lucky enough to find a stylist that had worked with thick unruly hair, and when I looked at myself in the mirror once she was done, I could hardly believe it was my hair! Several days later, I was still loving the cut. This look reduced my maintenance time and was new and different. There are times we really just need a change and a haircut can be the answer. But before taking the plunge, however, you should ask yourself these important questions.

1. Ask yourself WHY

Okay, this is a really important one. Breakup haircuts are terrible ideas, no matter how good your stylist is. There’s nothing like cutting your hair in rebellion of a failed relationship only to find it was a coping mechanism, not a stylist choice. Beyond breakups, anytime you are going through something where your emotions are put on edge, I’d recommend waiting out the storm until you are sure you really want to go through with the cut. Ask yourself who you are cutting your hair for and for what purposes. If the cut serves a real purpose such as boosting confidence, simplify your morning routine or saving you money in hair products, it might be time for a change!

2. Consider the cut, color, and hair type

I can’t stress this ENOUGH. You may be in love those adorable bangs, but they just may not work with your face shape. You might adore that pixie cut, but it would be unflattering with your hair type. Finding a good stylist who takes multiple factors into consideration is key for a good haircut. Because my hair grows like a weed, I always take into consideration maintained and upkeep for color and cuts. Since I don’t religiously visit a stylist every month, I find looks that have relatively low maintenance through the grow out phases.

Woman smiling
Photo by Jeryd Gillum on Unsplash

3. Give your current look a reasonable adjustment period

Sometimes a bad cut or color just needs a few days to calm down (as do we all after a scarring salon trip). Sometimes a trim unexpectedly turns into a committed cut. Sometimes that gorgeous ashy brown color makes you look like a granny instead of an influencer. But before you frantically schedule a fix-it appointment, give it at least a few days before you go back and make major changes.

4. Weigh the Pros and Cons

Finally, weigh the pros and cons of getting a new haircut. Consider cost, upkeep and limitations that will come from the change. I knew that cutting my hair short meant I couldn’t pull it up in a quick messy bun last minute, but I loved the idea of having less hair to shampoo, condition and comb. I also wanted a more put-together professional look as apposed to my long sometimes unruly wavy hair. If you can honestly compare the benefits and disadvantages and come out feeling energized by making a change then there’s a good chance you are on the right track!

While a bad cut or color isn’t the end of the world, it can be a decision you have to live with for several months or sometimes even years. So before making a drastic change, ask yourself these questions in order to help you identify your true motives and a concrete plan for the transformation.

Senior | Strategic Communication
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor