free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Things I Wish People Told Me When I Was a Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

As I prepare to graduate in four weeks, I can’t help but look back and wonder what I could have done differently. Though I’m quite happy with my college experience, there are a few things I wish people had told me when I was a freshman. 

1. Dorm Life

Since I was born and raised fifteen minutes away from the University of Utah, living in a dorm was not mandatory for me. However, during the spring semester of my sophomore year, I decided to give dorm life a shot to have a complete college experience. I adored it. I was lucky enough to have two fantastic roommates, both of which were international students. As an only child, it was a great way to learn how to live with people in a small space. I highly recommend it for commuter students.

2. Greek Life Is Super Fun

I was extremely hesitant about joining a sorority and didn’t go through recruitment until my fourth year of university. After going through recruitment I realized that the misconception I had been fed through media was completely wrong. Sororities are full of diverse women who come from all walks of life and are not just the stereotypical blondes shown in movies. Greek life is a great way to network with people and find a community on a large campus.

3. Study Abroad

I was fortunate enough to do a study abroad, and it is the highlight of my college experience. My semester abroad was at Akita International University in Japan. I made life-long friends and had the time of my life. I encourage everyone to visit the Learning Abroad Office. The University of Utah offers a plethora of programs in over fifty countries that vary in length. Regardless of your major, you can find a program that works for you. 

4. Speak Up in Class

Don’t be afraid to share your ideas or questions in class, since other students might be thinking the same thing.

5. Internships

Unfortunately, I only did one internship during my college career. I am now searching for jobs, and I wish I had more real-life experience. Internships are not only a great way to find a job in your field, but they’re also there to see if your field is right for you. You might hate your internship and end up finding the path that you belong on.

6. Get to Know Your Professors

When I first started school I was terrified of professors; now that I’m older I’m not sure why. Professors are there to help you learn, so don’t be afraid of asking questions — or for an extension. 

I hope these tips help you make the most of your college experience. Good luck, collegiates!

Image: 1

Senior at the University of Utah
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor