Thank You, Lady Gaga: You Are Beautiful, By the Way

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Dear Lady Gaga,

Does anyone really know where to start when thanking one of their biggest role models? After the Super Bowl 51 Half time show, I started reminiscing on how long I have been following you. I couldn’t come up with a specific date or time, but there were a few pretty clear memories that kept me looking up to you over the years. During some my most awkward years, when I was looking to find my place and who I was, one thing that I never looked for that everyone else seemed to want desperately, was to fit in. From wearing a dress made of raw meat, to executing the most creative music videos, some people called you crazy, but it never stopped me from seeing your true talent. These acts were just another way of you being yourself, and nothing could have given me more confidence at the time than that. 

It was when I stumbled upon a video of you playing the piano and singing “Paparazzi” that I fell in love with your voice unaltered and was completely amazed by your incredible musical talent. I was so impressed that I showed the video to as many people as I possibly could, but it still seemed that they couldn’t look over the harsh edges to see what I saw— that you were not only incredibly talented, but authentically yourself, with no care in the world for what anyone thought about you. It was more than obvious to me that you loved what you were doing, and you weren’t going to let anyone tell you how to do it. 

It wasn’t until 2011 when a girl I cheered with suggested that we choreograph our routine to “Dancing in the Dark” that I finally was able to share my love for your work with a few friends who also admired you. However, after all of the years I had been following you, it wasn’t until your performance of  “The Sound of Music” at the Oscars in 2015 that the majority of people I knew spoke more highly of you as a professional. (That performance was beautiful by the way). I couldn’t believe how long it took for them to get on board, but nevertheless I am glad they did. After all, you deserve recognition for your glowing gift. 

After that, it wasn’t long before you sang the national anthem at Super Bowl 50, and sent an incredibly powerful message with “Til It Happens to You” at the Oscars in 2016. In the beginning your inspiration kept me being true to myself, and your messages may have taken on a deeper meaning as time went on, but the underlining message rang constant still. Standing up against body shaming, supporting sexual assault victims, and advocating for equality for the members of the LGBTQ+ community are all but a few of the groups and causes you so proudly support.

(You are beautiful by the way.)

Album after album I have been more impressed with your collections, and “Joanne” is no different. Some of your more recent performances, such as the VS fashion show in Paris and Super Bowl 51 were both phenomenal. Lady Gaga, for the longest time I have wanted to meet you, even though I had no idea what I would even say; but now I do. First I might cry, but then I would hug you and thank you for the positive influence you have had on my life; how your music and your actions have reminded me to be proud of myself and my accomplishments, stand up for what I believe in, and most of all— never give up on my dreams. 

So thank you, with much love,

your little monster. xx -M

Malory no middle name Weber was born in Murray, UT on December 1, 1996. Growing up she moved across the country from Utah to Colorado, Texas, Maine, and back to Utah. Her passion for writing started at a young age and continues to grow everyday as she studies journalism at the University of Utah. Outside of writing, Malory enjoys being at the gym more often than being home, a good cup of iced coffee, and traveling as often as she can. Her dream job is to work as a face character at a Disney Resort, and her dream career is to publish her own magazine that is equal parts entertaining and informative. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor