Wellness

Tackle Your Online Semester with These Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Welcome back! I know going to college during a pandemic isn’t an ideal situation for anyone – hell, the pandemic itself isn’t ideal! I distinctly remember the anxiety I had when I learned that all of our classes would be shifting online. The dramatic change put me in a rut, to say the least. I opted to take summer courses this semester to make sure that my Fall semester wasn’t a complete repeat of the Spring semester. Here are some tips that I found extremely helpful while navigating my online classes. Whether your classes are in-person, hybrid models, or fully online, here are some things you can do to start your semester off strong.

Create a routine and stick to it!

Transitioning from all in-person classes to strictly remote classes severely diminished by motivation. I was sleeping in and watching more Netflix than I’d like to admit. While sleeping in was AMAZING, I completely lost the groove of the schedule I was used to and I found it hard to concentrate. Something that worked for me this summer was sticking to a schedule that ensured I did my work and watched my lectures during the hours I was supposed to be in ‘class’. This helped tremendously and I felt like a boss-b*tch – I really did! Sticking to a routine that worked for me helped me stay productive and I retained the information that I learned a lot better too!

Invest in a planner or calendar

I know purchasing a planner or calendar seems like a complete waste since this year has been a bit of a bust, but hear me out. Writing down what you have to do and when you have to do it is so important when it comes to taking University classes. College professors are usually pretty understanding, especially during these uncertain times, but they expect you to be an adult and hold yourself accountable for completing what they ask of you. I like to use the calendar on my computer and set reminders for when I have assignments, essays, or exams due. This keeps me on track and I am less likely to procrastinate when I see a deadline approaching.

Get to know your professors

It seems a bit daunting to approach your professors when you may not be able to physically do so, but don’t let this discourage you. It’s important to build relationships with professors, not only because they’ll be grading you, but because they can help you network and connect you to opportunities that will help launch your career or give you experience for your resume. Don’t hesitate to email your professor and their TAs.

Dress comfortably, but be ready to dress for success

I know online classes mean chilling in sweatpants all day, but if you have an important presentation I suggest dressing for the part – at least from the waist up! There is no doubt that the way we dress has an effect on the way we feel. If I have a presentation, I want to feel like a Boss B*tch, so I’m going to be sure to dress like one! 

This semester is going to be a unique one for most college students. The most important thing is to remember that you are not alone! Everything is a little bit up in the air, and it’s okay to feel stressed about it. I hope you find some of these tips helpful and start off the semester feeling healthy and safe! Remember that your health is a priority. (:

Farah majoring in sociology and minoring in political science. She is the Director of Recruitment and Director of Social Media of Her Campus Utah for the 2020-2021 school year. She loves painting with coffee and drinking lemonade.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor