This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

This June I had the opportunity to travel to Los Angeles, rent an Airbnb with four of my friends, and attend Her Conference LA. It was an all-day event with keynote speakers like Jessica Alba and Stassi Schroeder; and breakout sessions that included speakers like Cydnee Black and Gabi Gregg

It was really great to see so many beautiful, driven, and smart college women in one place. Her Conference LA was held in Wanderlust, Hollywood just a couple blocks down from the iconic Hollywood Boulevard walk of fame (a.k.a. walk of souvenir shops, tourists, and “hey beautiful,” dudes handing you their mixtape). 

All-in-all it was a jam-packed day that left us with goodie bags, inspiration, and admittedly some hunger pangs (there wasn’t nearly enough lunch for the crowd there but I digress). While at the conference my eyes couldn’t help but focus on certain outfits. We all got the same business chic dress code and I can honestly say everyone I saw looked great, but some women there really stepped it up. 

Beyond the stories of brand startups and social media journeys, I found inspiration in the crowd around me. So in the spirit of Joan Rivers on any red carpet ever, I had to know more about these outfits. Below are some of the stand out styles I saw at Her Conference LA, and a little bit about each person wearing them. 

Name: Dominique Star

School: Columbia (2013)

Instagram: @doremidom

Dominique’s flowy pants were the first thing that grabbed my attention. The slits in the leg were a twist on a summer staple of breezy white trousers. When I asked her what the inspiration was for her business chic look Dominique said “I wanted California cool,” she continued “I love coral this season, so I wore a coral blush, coral lipstick, and a coral blazer.” 

Name: Ayron Walker

School: University of North Texas

Instagram: @lavxll

You know when you see someone and your first thought is oh my god. . . she’s killing it. That was my reaction when I saw Ayron. Her eyeliner was sharp as daggers and her suit paired with a casual crop top gave her look just the right amount of variety. “I thought it would be cute to not be too professional with what I’m wearing. You know, skin is the thing right now so I thought the bandeau would look cute underneath [the jacket],” she said.  

Name: Alejandra Balbuena

School: University of North Texas

Instagram: @alexbu0202

I’ve been on the hunt for the perfect suit, so when I saw Alejandra’s baby pink set I just about died. In head-to-toe pink, she stood out by dressing in a beautiful combination of both professional and feminine styles. Her purse, shoes, and even makeup were shades of pink, completing the monochromatic ensemble. When I asked about her interpretation of business chic Alejandra said “You’ve heard the term power pantsuit, right? This is my power pantsuit. I wanted pink because it conveys femininity but also business like I’m a boss.”

Name: Sienna Santer

School: Harvard University

Instagram: @siennasanter

Flared pants and a bell sleeve top gave Sienna’s outfit a 70s vibe. Though her outfit was a bit more casual, it still fit the business chic look with the fabrics and fit. “Legally Blonde is definitely my inspiration, as well as Cher from Clueless. It’s kind of a mesh of both with the plaid and the pink,” she said. “I wanted something that looked like I was going to a conference possibly but could also be interpreted as just a fun outfit.”

Name: Yvette Pacheco

School: Cerritos College

Instagram: @vettepacheco

Yvette’s blazer mini dress and boots stood out as another powerful-yet-feminine look. Sleek hair and flawless makeup completed it. When I asked about her outfit inspiration, Yvette said: “Definitely Cher from Clueless and Chutney from Legally Blonde.”

Name: Edel Rimando

School: Her Campus video editor

Instagram: @edeliee

Edel’s silky dress, grid-print blazer, and colorful bag came together to make a business chic look that was also comfortable. The luminous effect brought by her dress made her stand out without looking flashy, because at a conference like this, professionalism and style work perfectly together.

There you have it, my picks for standout style at the very first Los Angeles Her Conference. I thought the theme ‘Inspire’ fit not only the speakers and panels but the very location of the event too. Hollywood has been visited by some of the world’s most influential people for decades, and I couldn’t help but think that the women around me perfectly belonged. 

Hi I'm Britt, I'm 23 and graduating after the Fall 2020 semester with a Bachelor of Arts in Strategic Communications and two minors in Spanish and Creative Writing.  I love to dive into topics under beauty, fashion, music, art, and culture. I enjoy going a little deeper and finding information that I think readers will learn from or want to learn more about.   A couple of my favorite things are shopping (especially local!), writing, and watching movies with tons of popcorn.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor