Spring Cleaning for the Messy College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Spring is upon us, and it’s perfect timing to start that cleaning overhaul you’ve been telling yourself you’d do for months now. Cleaning can be pretty therapeutic when you do it right, so here’s how to stay tidy and change your room up a bit (or a lot). 

Closet: It’s easy to shove all the clothes covering your floor into your closet and call your room clean, but now it’s time to face your fears.

• Winter clothes out, spring and summer clothes in! Finally, it’s time to shed the heavy jackets and bulky boots- enter flowy tops, shorts, and sundresses!
  • Fold and organize everything. Put all your hoodies, jeans, t-shirts, in their own groups and ask yourself how many of each item do you really need. Formal sweatshirts are cute until they take up an entire drawer.
  • Take everything out of your closet and decide what really needs to be put back in. While you’re going through your clothes, start three piles: one for things that are definitely going back into your closet, another for things to store for a bit (what you don’t wear too often but always comes in handy on Halloween), and finally things you can part with/donate. (You should definitely consider donating old clothes to Goodwill!)

Desk:  

• Get rid of all the unnecessary papers, the notes from that last semester class, useless flyers you were handed on campus…recycle, recycle, recycle!
  • Holding on to some old text books? Sell or donate them!
  • Go through all your documents and photos on your computer, organize everything: assignments into different folders for semesters and school year to keep everything neat, organized, and easy to find. Consider putting old semesters work on a flash drive or disk to guarantee more space on your computer.

Furniture:

• If you’re just bored of your room or getting a bad case of cabin fever, move some things around; finding a new place for your furniture will give your room a whole new look and feeling. In honor of Spring, bring some more color into your room, whether that be some new pillows or blankets, treating yourself to a bouquet of followers, or a new tapestry.
  • If you love plastering your walls with pictures of your best friends and favorite memories, replace the old with the new. Printing out some new photos is easy and shakes things up a bit.

Backpack:

Get rid of anything that’s been lurking at the bottom of your bag all semester; its time to get rid of old papers and assignments or pens that only work after you scribble over and over. Check and go through every single pocket of your bag, and even wash you bag if it needs it (putting your backpack in a laundry bag before putting it in the washing machine helps to make sure zippers don’t get caught and damage your washer or bag).

Bedding:

Bedding often is forgotten during your wash routine, so now’s the time! Take it all off, sheets, comforter, pillow, blankets and get those in the wash ASAP in hot water! Turns out, you’re actually supposed to be washing your sheets weekly…oops. 

Floors:

Clean your floors so you can stop dodging all those gross things you’ve developed a route avoiding for months; imagine not feeling crumbs every time you walk barefoot. Try to vacuum weekly, and keep a floor mop handy. 

Makeup:

Clean your brushes (seriously, dirty brushes are gross and probably the reason you’re breaking out), throw away all those empty mascara tubes, and the free sample lipsticks you’ve never even touched. Some people don’t realize makeup expires, but believe me, it does. If you’re big on palettes, you can pick up some cheap little baskets from target to keep them organized and easy to access.

Remember: clean room, clear mind. You owe it to yourself.

Erin is a senior at University of Utah currently pursuing strategic communications major with writing and rhethoric minor. She's passionate about all things creative, and hopes one day to work in the film industry. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor