So, You Went Through Recruitment and Didn’t Join a Sorority

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

When it comes to sorority recruitment, I like to think I know a thing or two. And no, it’s not because I’m in a house, but I have been through it. Twice. The first time I did it was my freshman year. I knew absolutely nothing about Greek life, but two of my good friends were going through, and since I didn’t know a ton of other people, I was easily convinced that it would be a good idea. It was fun, and I met some really sweet girls that I’m still friends with, but when it came down to it, I decided it wasn’t for me. My very naïve, very overwhelmed freshman self saw absolutely no way that I could balance a sorority with two majors and a rigorous dance rehearsal schedule. So I dropped. But, junior year called for round two.

This decision was a very long time coming. I debated for months on whether or not I should go through recruitment again (and definitely annoyed all of my friends with my indecisiveness. Sorry, guys). On the one hand, parts of it still weren’t completely up my alley. But on the other hand, during my first two years at school I made tons of people who absolutely love Greek life, and I also love all of them, so I figured it may as well be worth another go. Again, I had fun going through it and I met some awesome people, but at the end of the weekend, I still had a feeling in my gut that it just wasn’t the right path for me. I came to the conclusion that Greek life is great, and offers some amazing opportunities for a lot of people, but it just isn’t for me.           

I know that there are a lot of girls in my position, and although I came out of the whole thing unscathed and with a wonderful group of friends that I’ve had for years, it can definitely be tough as a freshman, especially if you’re still finding your place on this massive campus. So here are some words of wisdom from me, a geed.

There are a lot of other organizations that will give you equally as awesome opportunities. Social scene? Networking? Leadership positions? Name a campus organization, they’ve got it.

If you feel like the time commitment, not just of Greek life but of anything, is overwhelming you, take a step back. Chances are, if you wiggle your schedule around a little and budget your time in different ways, you can make it work. And if you really feel like you can’t, trust me, it is not worth the stress.

“I’m just bummed about the formals and the date nights and all that stuff, they sounded soooo fun!” (Actual words I heard out of a PNM who, like me, decided against joining.) Ok well first of all, if that’s the only thing you’re in it for, maybe take a hot sec to reassess your current priorities, and why you’re doing all of this. But yes, formals and date nights are super fun. How do I know that? Experience! There is no rule that says only Greeks allowed, so don’t sweat it. Make some friends, and you never know where you’ll end up.

This leads me to my last point, which is that you will make friends, no matter what organization you are a part of. You’re on the right path, and you’re going to find your people in the most random places at the most random times, so trust me when I say, don’t worry. Great groups of friends come from anywhere and everywhere. 

Photo Source: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Ellie is a junior at the University of Utah double majoring in Ballet and Strategic Communications. In addition to Her Campus, she is also a member of It's On Us. She loves to travel, is a big fan of all things fashion, and has an unhealthy obsession with cute coffee shops. You can find her (and her blog) on Instagram @ellie.bresler
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor