So You Want to Apply for Graduate School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

If you’re reading this, you’ve probably made the decision to apply to a graduate program, or you’re at least thinking about it. Either way, there are more than a few things you should keep in mind while dreaming about the extra years of school ahead. Graduate programs are competitive, and the application process is a test in and of itself. Luckily, I’ve compiled all of the advice and guidance I’ve received after deciding that I want to apply to a competitive grad program into an organized list. Here’s everything you should do to make sure your application stands out from the rest!

Talk to the program advisor/counselor

The first and arguably most important step to take is to set up a meeting with the program advisor. They can give you more information about the program, what they’re looking for in applicants, and answer any questions you have about the application process. It’s also a great way to put your name out there and get recognized by the right people. Meeting with an advisor in person is preferable but not always possible when the program is located out of state; call to set up a phone meeting or send an email with your questions        

Extracurricular Activities

Having experience in your field of study is an easy and necessary way to set yourself apart from other applicants.

-Internships are a great way to get more experience, network, and learn from others in your desired field. The Hinckley Institute of Politics is a great resource to help match you with an internship in any field of study and get course credit for it.

-Find a relevant volunteer experience and STICK WITH IT. You can’t take concrete skills after only volunteering somewhere for a week.

-Studying abroad allows you to connect with your field and network on a global level. International professors are great people to reach out to for letters of recommendation because they’ve worked with you one on one and they’re professionals in their field. If studying abroad sounds appealing but seems too expensive, check out this article for some tips and get in touch with the Learning Abroad Office here at the U.

-One of the most underutilized but valuable experiences to put on an application is research that you’ve conducted or been involved in, probably because lots of us aren’t sure how to get involved in research in the first place. Make an appointment with an advisor in the Office of Undergraduate Research to see how you can get involved with current research projects or even how to start your own. Professionals involved in the selection process want people who will contribute and further their field of study.

Any and all of these extracurricular activities show dedication, relevant experience, and acquired skill which looks great on any application.

Visit the Career & Professional Development Center

Many graduate programs require you to submit a statement of purpose, which consists of demonstrating why you want to be a part of their program and humbly bragging about your experiences. The career and professional development center offers examples, tips, and other resources to help you draft the perfect statement of purpose or personal essay. If your program requires an interview, fear not — they also host mock interviews online to help you brush up on your public speaking and prepare you for typical questions asked. Their website has an entire section devoted to graduate school with other valuable resources worth checking out.

GRE Exam

Also known as the bane of my existence, the GRE exam is the grown-up equivalent of the ACT. While getting a good score isn’t the be all end all of your application, it is important if you want to really stand out in the application process. Review your test-taking strategies, buy a GRE prep book, or best of all sign up for a GRE prep class. The prep courses offered here at the U are three hours long, twice a week for a month and offer invaluable help and experience to prepare you for the exam.

Going through the application process for grad school is hard enough. Utilize these tips to help organize and guide yourself through your journey. I would say good luck, but with these tips, you shouldn’t need it!   

Image sources: 1, 2, 3

Hannah is a Senior at the University of Utah studying Kinesiology and Sports Nutrition. When she isn’t in class or working at one of her jobs, you can find her hiking with her dogs, reading, or fervently adding more pictures to her Pinterest Style board with a chai latte in hand. Find her on Instagram @hannahjanelangley
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor