Salt Lake City’s First Cat Café

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

It seems like cat cafés are one of the newest trends to hit America. The idea of a cozy spot to cuddle with some kitties and sip some coffee has swept the nation. Salt Lake City is now following with Tinker’s Cat Café, a nonprofit that offers great coffee and adoptable furry friends! 

Finding Tinker’s Cat Café is really easy, it is right on the corner of 900 South and 300 East. It is recommended to park on the street, as the back-parking lot only has a few spots. Right away you will notice the huge mural on the west side of the building depicting a café run by cats. It is super fun, and is great for a photo op! It is highly recommended that if you come on the weekends, you make a reservation on their website here. I came on a weekday late in the afternoon and was able to purchase a spot to be with the kitties right then and there. 

Right away, Tinker’s felt warm and inviting. You first walk into the café side with its modern, but still cozy atmosphere. The café is split into two rooms with a door connecting them. The first room is the café where you order, and next door is the cat room. The menu was purr-fect and full of cat-inspired drinks! They also offer yummy vegan, non-vegan, and gluten-free treats to munch on. I decided on the day’s special, The Siamese, a chai mocha tea. If you decide you want to spend time with the cats, the staff will bring your order into the cat room. I headed on over to the cat room to wait for my drink.

The cat room is what I imagine heaven looks like for cats. There are tons of toys, spots to lounge, places to hide, brushes, and even a small opening to a separate room just for them if they decide they are being too smothered. Not to mention endless petting, cuddles, kisses, and playtime! At Tinker’s, they only allow 16 people in the cat room at a time so the cats aren’t too overwhelmed. Today there were around 14 cats around and available for adoption (though a few were hiding in their private room). You can adopt any of these cats in the cafe through Salt Lake Animal Services. Tinker’s Cat Café is a non-profit organization that seeks to find homes for cats, and give the community a place to relax. As a college student who currently doesn’t have a pet, it was so relaxing to just come in a pet one. I was so stressed out, and after a few minutes in the cat room, I was at peace. You don’t even have to be a cat person to enjoy this place, it is just a happy atmosphere filled with people having a good time.

My drink came right away, I was really shocked at how fast it came out. I was also impressed with how FREAKING GOOD the drink was. Chai and mocha together, who knew? I didn’t expect much from the café itself because I was more excited about the cats, but I can definitely see myself coming back just to try more drinks! Tinker’s makes their drinks from Rimini Coffee based in Salt Lake City, which is made in small batches and is amazing quality!

Tinker’s Cat Café is quickly becoming a beloved staple in Salt Lake City. It is a wonderful opportunity for cats in Salt Lake Animal Services to get a new chance at life, and for you to relax with some kitties and coffee. The café is non-profit, and the $8 reservation cost goes back to taking care of the cats.

Tinker’s Cat Café

Open Tuesday-Thursday 11-7pm; Fri-Sun 11-8pm; CLOSED MONDAYS

302 900 S, Salt Lake City, UT 84111

$8 per hour cat lounge fee. Children 10 and under are $6

Gift Certificates are available!

Photo Credit to Sarah Farrell

Senior at the University of Utah majoring in being crunchy  My hobbies include watching Chopped while on the treadmill, going to brunch places too hip for me, and enjoying The Golden Girls. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor