kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Resources on Campus You Probably Don’t Know About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

I’ve been going to the University of Utah since 2016. This makes me a senior. I thought I knew all there was to know about campus: where the good coffee shops are, the best study spots, etc. I was wrong! Turns out, the University of Utah has an abundancy of resources that so many people don’t know about. A lot of these things are so amazing — they just needs a little awareness. So then let’s talk about a few of the resources the U has for students.

Aces at Center for Student Wellness

ACES are peer and health educators. They are separated into three topics: one, Sexual Wellness, two, Vlence Prevention, and three, Harm Reduction. They do one-on-one counseling, presentations, tabling, and best of all, they give out 20 condoms for $2. They also provide dental dams, and lube! Even if you don’t have the $2, they will give it to you for free. They also do STI clinics all throughout the year, both in the Student Life Center and in various places around campus. I know it can be a bit nerve-wracking to talk about sexual wellness, but ACES is here to take care of all of that with you. They care about you and your health, so if you have any questions about sexual health, or just need to talk in general, ACES is there for you! I learned about ACES through my sister, who volunteers for them (S/O to Elnaz!). If you would like to contact ACES, you can email them at wellness@sa.utah.edu.

Community Garden

The Edible Gardens at the U is a great resource on campus. The Edible Gardens are great because students can learn how to grow their own fruits and vegetables and learn about sustainable farming options. Whatever is grown in the garden is sold on campus at the farmer’s markets, as well as donated to the Food Pantry. Volunteering at the Edible Gardens is a great experience, and can teach you a lot about gardening and farming, as well as growing your own food. The Edible Gardens can be found on lower campus, by the S.J. Quinney School of Law.

K-UTE Radio

K-UTE Radio is the University of Utah’s student radio station.They broadcast live 24.7 from the Student Union. They offer things like local music, podcasts, live shows, videos, fun events, and more. Since they play mostly independent artists, and student-produced shows, it is a great way to get more involved locally. Since it is student run, students can get involved. If you would like to contact K-UTE Radio, call 801-581-6397.

Discounted Tickets 

You may know that the U offers discounted tickets on Ski resorts, but did you know they also offer a ton of other discounts? They have discounts on Lagoon passes, bus passes, ski resorts, balloons, movie passes, and many more discounts. You can also rent a lot of sports equipment for way cheap at the U. Learning about this can save you a ton of money. These discounts are all located in the Union, with the exception of sports equipment, which would be located in the Student Life Center. If you want to learn more about these discounts and the specifics, go to the Services Desk in the Union. 

So there you have it! A few resources on campus that you may have not known about before. Hopefully you can save a few bucks by taking advantage of these. There are of course, so many more resources, but that’s the beauty of being at the University of Utah! 

Pic Credit: 

1,2, 3, 4

HI there! My name is Ailee and I am a political science and sociology double major at the University of U! I want to get into law school and I love to write!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor