Reminders You Probably Don’t Have in Your Phone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

There are things you’re forgetting. Yes, you, who lives by your planner and has events perfectly calendared in your phone and homework turned in hours before it’s due, are forgetting things. It’s not your keys and it’s not the twice-a-year dentist appointment. In our collegiate lives, it’s so easy to live by a checklist—dutifully following the same routine, unaware as to what you’re missing. For those of us who’ve found themselves stuck in this cycle, this is a new kind of reminder.

Say ‘I Love You.’

There are people in your life who care about you and are there for you when you need it most, and they deserve some appreciation. It’s your best friend, who makes you laugh and has been there for every heartbreak, and your little sister, who may get on your nerves but looks up to you and wants nothing more than to spend some time with you. And of course, your parents who have sacrificed and have worked hard to give you a good life. In any case, there are people who would love to hear those three little words from you. 

Forgive.

Maybe someone betrayed your trust, told a lie, or did something that can’t be undone. You feel hurt, and you don’t know if things will ever be the same. It’s up to you to gauge if what’s happened worth losing the relationship over, but regardless of whether or not you keep them in your life, you need to forgive. I was watching Ghost Whisperer reruns the other day, and in one episode, the characters said something I’ll never forget: “Being unforgiving is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die.” When you hold onto that anger and contempt, you are only hurting yourself and giving the person who hurt you more power. Take a breath, and let it go.

Give a Random Compliment.

I can’t even begin to explain how important this one is. Last week, I was having a terrible day, and it seemed that I just couldn’t win. My sister was home sick and asked if I would go out and grab her something to eat, and after arguing for a few minutes, I reluctantly agreed and huffed out to my car. I was sitting in the drive-thru grumbling to myself about how slow the service was, and when I got to the window, a very nice teenager handed me the food and before I drove off said, “You have such pretty hair! You are so lucky.” That single compliment brightened my entire day, and I ended up having a really great time watching movies and talking with my sister when I got home. No matter how small or insignificant you think it might be, a few kind words and a smile can make a huge difference in a person’s life.

Be Mindful.

It’s so easy to get caught up in what’s due tonight or your plans for next weekend, but there are beautiful things happening all around you right now. Play with your dogs, talk to your mom, call your grandma, and just notice things like you did when you were a child. Maybe it’s the elderly couple in the café who are still so obviously in love with each other, or the person who returns a toy that fell out of a young mom’s stroller in the grocery store. There are so many reasons to be happy, and they’re happening all of the time. The more you stop to notice, the happier you’ll be, and most importantly, the more you’ll find opportunities in which you can help.

In between classes and cups of coffee, tests and turning pages, incredible things are happening. As the great artist Andy Warhol once said, “You need to let the little things that would ordinarily bore you suddenly thrill you.” You have one life, so live it fully. Reminders like this aren’t ones that you can write in a planner, they’re not scheduled at a certain time. But they are the important ones that make you smile and make other people remember why they’re so special. 

Madison Adams is a feminist, a tea enthusiast, a friend to the animals, and a lover of words. Mostly, though, she's a young woman who's still trying to figure things out. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor