Style > Beauty

But Really, It’s Time to Clean Out Those Pores

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Summer is just around the corner, and what’s a better way to start it off than with clean pores? There are so many things you can do to make sure you have radiant skin that would make even Jonathan Van Ness jealous. With finals just around the corner, I’m here to share some time-saving tips to help you achieve clean and healthy skin when you’re in a time crunch.

The first step to achieving radiant skin is to moisturize! I can’t say that enough. Having moisturized skin makes a world of difference, and it only takes 20 seconds! If you have really sensitive skin, I suggest using First Aid Beauty’s Ultra Repair Cream. This moisturizer hydrates your skin and you can use it all over your body— not just your face. Moisturizing can reduce the chance of having skin problems. If it has SPF, it also protects your skin from sun damage, which means you can skip out on sunscreen!

Exfoliating helps get rid of dead skin cells that build up and clog pores, which can ultimately lead to unwanted blemishes. I use an exfoliating cleanser with a facial buff to make sure I clean those stubborn pores. By using an exfoliating cleanser, I save time in my skincare routine by turning two steps into one!

Using a facial cleanser helps keep your pores from getting congested— and nobody likes congested pores! Including a cleanser in your shower routine saves you so much time, and you don’t have to worry about getting cleanser in your hair because it’s going to wash right out. Extremely hot water can strip skin of necessary oils, so if you do opt to cleanse your face in the shower be cautious of the water’s temperature. Cleansing your face before getting into bed is also important because you remove all the excess oil your skin has produced throughout the day. It’s also a great way to make sure there’s no makeup left on your skin.

Speaking of makeup— NEVER go to sleep with makeup on! I know that it’s a hassle to get up and take it off, but if you don’t remove your makeup before you sleep your pores will get clogged! If you are lazy like me, keep some makeup wipes next to your bed so you don’t have to get up when you’re tired. It’s also a great way to remember to take it off. Some makeup contains oils that congest pores, so if you don’t want congested pores- wash off ALL your makeup!

Charcoal and clay face masks are the best masks to use when it comes to decongesting pores. Clay and activated charcoal act like sponges and soak up anything clogging your skin. Dirt, pollution, and excess oils are the culprits that make your pores look bigger; investing in these masks will shrink your pores in a matter of minutes, making you feel more lively and refreshed. The Aztec Secret Indian Clay mask and the Boscia Luminizing Black mask do wonders for your skin. When I use these two masks, I follow them with a rose water toner because it soothes my skin and cleans any leftover residue that I may have missed. I also use a rose water toner in my daily morning routine to clean my pores and tone my skin when I am rushing to get to class.

I hope you find these tips helpful and incorporate them into your skincare routine. Clogged pores can be tough and annoying, but with finals coming up you should take some time to pamper yourself. You deserve a break from breaking out.

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Farah majoring in sociology and minoring in political science. She is the Director of Recruitment and Director of Social Media of Her Campus Utah for the 2020-2021 school year. She loves painting with coffee and drinking lemonade.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor