This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Dear Ex Boyfriend,

It has been a while since we have talked. I am writing this letter to tell you that I miss you. Even though we’re not together anymore, the experiences we gave each other were unique and cannot be replaced. They are memories I will cherish for the rest of my life. I sometimes look back and get sad because I miss them, but I have realized that no matter what, you have been and continue to shape the person I am and will be. Although we are no longer in each other lives, I know that there was a reason for us coming into each others lives. It wasn’t because we went to the same school, or because we enjoyed the same things, but because we taught each other things no other person could teach us. We taught each other what its like to have someone be your world, what it’s like to be in a relationship, what it was like to be so angry at someone but still work through all the problems we had, we taught each other love, we felt what it was like to be loved unconditionally. And even though we won’t get to be together forever like we dreamed when we were younger, part of my heart will always be with you, not because I am still IN love with you, but because I still love you, and a piece of my heart will always be yours just like we promise each other. 

We no longer get to talk and ask how each others day went everyday, but that doesn’t mean I don’t still wonder how you are doing. How things are going, how life is treating you, if you are doing the things that you love, how girls are treating you, how school is treating you, and most importantly- if you are still happy. 

I see your pictures pop up on social media and see how happy you look, all the different things you have accomplished, and that makes me happy. It makes me happy to see that someone who played such a big role in my life, someone who taught me so many things, someone who would still be there for me if I needed him, is still the same old person I used to know. Even though we were made to grow apart eventually, my heart still loves you. 

I still secretly look forward to the occasional text from you to catch up, still look forward to the days we might go get coffee together and talk about our lives. Talk about our dreams, our aspirations, and our new relationships. I look forward to seeing that you have found another girl that makes you happy. A girl that challenges you to be a better person, a girl that enjoys the same things you do, a girl that brings a smile to your face, and a girl that loves you as much as we loved each other when we were younger. A girl that brings the best out of you, and inspires you to do what you love to do. Because I know that a person like you deserves the very best. In 20, 30 years from now I still want to run into to you, to see that you have acquired everything I had ever hoped for you. Because even though we were lovers at one point, we were also best friends, and thats what best friends want for each other.

So heres to all the heart felt text messages we sent, the long phone calls at 3 in the morning, the trips we took together, the excessive amounts of Ben and Jerry’s we ate, the camping trips, hikes and adventures we went on, here is to laying in the back of your truck staring at the stars- holding each other tight and telling each other we would never let go, here is to the the endless laughs and smiles we shared, and the tears we shed for each other, the fights we got in over the music, and most importantly here is to breaking each others hearts. Not because we hate each other or don’t love each other anymore, but because we knew that our time together was over. 

Love,

Your Ex Girlfriend

I like skiing.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor