Navigating Your First Apartment Grocery List: The How-To’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Moving into your first apartment can feel kind of like the first week of college all over again…only instead of stressing about meeting your dorm neighbors, or finding your classes, you’re wondering about where to buy a couch, and what to stick in the fridge.

Never fear, collegiettes! This helpful guide will help you create the perfect first apartment grocery list…tips for furniture shopping not included.

Staples

For basic cooking staples, you want to go for ingredients that you’ll use in virtually every recipe (e.g. eggs, olive oil, flour). Your kitchen needs will obviously depend on your dietary preferences and restrictions (for example, if you’re gluten free, you probably won’t be stocking up on 10 boxes of enriched wheat pasta). While you’re at it, stock up on the staples you won’t think about until you need them: Emergen-C for every time you feel a sniffle starting…and Gatorade for when you didn’t take Emergen-C fast enough. 

• White or brown rice
  • 1-2 boxes of pasta
  • Bread
  • Eggs
  • Chocolate chips (for popcorn, cookie dough, etc.)
  • Cereal 
  • Flour
  • Sugar
  • Olive oil/avocado oil/vegetable oil
  • Emergen-C (yes this is a staple)
  • Gatorade or Powerade (for sick days, hangovers, headaches, etc.)

Produce

You’ll definitely want to stock up on more produce according to what kinds of recipes you like to make. In the meantime, push yourself to buy vegetables you can force yourself to snack on and leafy greens to sneak into pasta dishes and smoothies. 

• Fruits or veggies to snack on (apples, grapes, carrot sticks, etc.)
  • 1 bag/bundle of leafy greens (kale, spinach, etc.)

Snacks

Make sure you buy food that you a) actually like to snack on and b) actually has some nutritional value. I mean, I love Cheetos as much as the next woman struggling to avoid processed foods, but they’re not a very filling study snack. Opt instead for foods high in protein and healthy fats — think cheese or mixed nuts. And throw in some microwave popcorn — none of your friends want to attempt to enjoy an at-home movie without everyone’s favorite movie snack. 

• Granola bars
  • Cheese sticks, nuts, or other healthy fat/protein snacks
  • Popcorn

Quick Meals

Quick meals don’t have to be just ramen and Kraft dinner cups, but I haven’t recovered from finding out that you can’t microwave Cup of Noodles in the library last semester and I’m hesitant to give their product a recommendation. Basically, just pick up a few meals you can heat up in five minutes or less. 

• Ramen
  • Microwavable Mac & Cheese

Cleaning Supplies

You have to keep your place clean. ‘Nuff said. 

• Trash bags
  • Dish soap
  • Sponges
  • Dishwasher detergent

Miscellaneous

And last but not least, the things you probably want in your pantry, don’t absolutely need, but still shouldn’t forget:

• Plastic bags
  • Hot chocolate (winter is coming…)
  • Chamomile tea (for sick days)

Stocking up at the grocery store won’t ever be as easy as it was when you lived next door to the dining hall, but this list can help you make a strong start towards settling into your new apartment. Happy shopping, collegiettes!

With a double major in Political Science and Economics, Allyson hopes to become either a lawyer or a professor of political science after she finishes her degree at the U. Her hobbies include shopping for clothing she cannot afford and working out without breaking a sweat. She is an avid lover of podcasts, and always appreciates recommendations. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor