This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Utah is known as having some of the best natural wonders in the country. From beautiful red arches to bright and tall mountain ranges, this state is full of tourist attractions that are available all year round. Even better, most (if not all) of these attractions are perfect for beginners, making them accessible to even those who aren’t the biggest fans of nature and the outdoors.

Mirror Lake

This 1.5 mile hike results in a spectacular view of a lake that is calm and smooth, giving off a mirror-like reflection of the mountains surrounding it. Not only do you get the best view, but it is also dog friendly since it is an easy and peaceful walk. The only downside is that it does get packed during the summertime. 

jump water nature cliff jump adventure travel
Charlotte Reader / Her Campus

Bonneville Salt Flats 

One of my personal favorites, the Bonneville Salt Flats are just about picture perfect. Estimated to be about three hours away from Salt Lake City, the drive is well worth it. This attraction is free and open to the public for the majority of the year, but be careful. When driving on the Salt Flats it can be quite dangerous, especially when alone. Make sure to advise others of where you are located and try to visit sometime between July and October. This is known to be the best time to visit. 

Navajo Loop and Queen’s Garden Trail

If you want to see beautiful views and friendly wildlife, this is the hike for you. At around 2.6 miles long, going through the whole trail leads to a panoramic view of Bryce Canyon. It is a fairly moderate hike; however, it is best to plan ahead if you hope to do this in the winter, which is when it is highly recommended to complete this trail. Several parts of the hike will be closed if there is too much snowfall or ice. 

Cameron Smith-Girl Smile Happy Colorado Travel Mountains Hiking Trees
Cameron Smith / Her Campus

Little Sahara

These sand dunes are like no other. If it’s your first time experiencing the outdoors, try Little Sahara. This attraction has about 60,000 acres of dunes, trails, and sagebrush flats. Located in Nephi, there is plenty to do so you’ll never get bored. Some activities include hiking, off-roading, and camping.

Goblin Lair Trail

This hike can be challenging when it’s done in the wrong season. The trail is known for its barren land, and also for looking like you’re not even on Earth anymore. Instead, the landscape makes you think of Mars due to the red-hued rocks and surroundings. It’s best to take this hike slowly and to always bring water, sunscreen, and a hat for protection. 

Anna Schultz-Best Friends Running Through Desert Adventure Road Trip
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

Delicate Arch

Probably the most well known entry on this list, going to Delicate Arch is something you need to do at least once in your life. People come from all over the world to see this wonder, meaning that you should take advantage of it seeing as it is only around four hours away from Salt Lake City. Visiting Arches National Park is a must if you live here. It’s adjacent to the Colorado River, and there are many recreational activities to choose from. Hiking, canyoneering, camping at the Devils Garden Campground, backpacking, and rock climbing are just some of the many options available.

If you’re like me and aren’t the biggest outdoor person, any of the choices on this list make a great first experience hiking and being one with nature. For the most part, they all offer different recreational activities and are rated as being moderately easy. Also, they make for the best pictures! Try one of these out and see what you might be missing out on.

Ezra Jeffrey Comeau
Ezra Jeffrey-Comeau / Unsplash

President of Her Campus Utah and Senior at the University of Utah.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor