Style > Beauty

My Affordable Heavy Duty Makeup Removal Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Do not go to bed with your makeup on. You’re guilty of it. I’m guilty of it. We’ve all been there. When you finally get home after a long night out, all you want to do is sleep. I get it!

But I don’t care, I will call the skincare police on you.

Here is my tried and tested (affordable!) heavy duty makeup removal routine. I double cleanse daily, but triple cleanse on the days my foundation feels a little more stubborn. I have repurchased all of these items multiple times. Remember though, your mileage may vary. Everyone’s skin is different, and products that work for me may not work for you!

1. Micellar Water

This step should remove about 80% of your face makeup. Makeup wipes will also do the trick. This step alone isn’t enough to remove heavy duty makeup but is a great standalone for daily use. 

My pick: Garnier Micellar Water All-in-One (recommended by my dermatologist)

2. Waterproof Eye Makeup Remover

This step should remove about 80% of your eye makeup. You’ll want to soak a cotton round and place it on your eyes for about 30 seconds. Don’t rub your eyes with the cotton round! It’s tough on your eyelashes. The skin around the eyes is also more sensitive, so be gentle!

My pick: Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water All-in-One Waterproof

3. Oil Cleanser

This is the step that will remove the rest of your makeup. I know you oily-skinned gals are shaking your heads at me, but trust me on this. It removes even the most stubborn makeup.

My pick: Kose Softymo Speedy Cleansing Oil

4. Cleanser

This is the step that removes the oil cleanser. You should also be cleansing your face for at least 30 seconds -1 minute. Slapping cleanser on your face for 5 seconds before rinsing it off is not how it’s supposed to work.

My pick: Neutrogena Ultra Gentle Hydrating Cleanser (recommended by my dermatologist)

And you’re done! Go to bed! I hope that sharing my routine was helpful. My skincare journey hasn’t been the easiest, so a lot of research and effort goes into my routines. At the same time, it’s important to understand that everyone is at a different place in their skincare journey. Sometimes what works best, may not be the best for your daily routine or your financial situation. Again, what works for me may not work for you at all. Do what works for you. Just keep in mind that skin is part of your body. Take good care of it.

Sweet dreams!

Sources: 1,2,3,4

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor