Trader Joe
Trader Joe
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

Meal Hacks: Trader Joes Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Thinking of new meals to make is insanely hard, especially when you are fresh into college and are not used to making your own meals. When I left home, the biggest issue for me was finding meal ideas that were easy, required little cookware, and fast cooking. I got lost in the Pinterest abyss as many do, scrolling through the thousands of recipes that required seasonings that I didn’t have and hours of time and effort that were hard to come by with my busy school and work schedule. If this is you, I have a hack that might just save your meal plan for the week. And it’s simple, just go to Trader Joes. 

The reason I recommend this store to cooking rookies is that the great majority of their product does not require much skill to make. If you like Chinese, they have a whole section of frozen options that are precooked and ready for you to heat up after a long day. Mexican food? Same thing. Italian? Same thing. It is so easy to go in and count the items in your basket and equate them with the number of meals, which might even save you money in the long run. 

Still don’t believe me? Here are some of my favorite meals that I have had using Trader Joe’s products. Continue at your own risk, the following pictures might make you hungry. 

1. Orange Chicken

This is super easy to make, just pop in the oven and glaze with the orange sauce afterward. Add some rice and you’re good to go! 

A post shared by Trader Joe’s Food Reviews (@traderjoesfoodreviews) on

2. Gnocchi 

If you like pasta, you HAVE to try one of Trader Joes’ gnocchi options. There are tons of kinds to pick from, a fan favorite is their cauliflower gnocchi, but my personal favorite is the frozen gorgonzola gnocchi. (Plus a lot of the frozen options are microwavable!) 

A post shared by Trader Joe’s List (@traderjoeslist) on

3. Cauliflower Crust Pizza

Girls night, date night, movie night… no matter what the occasion, pizza is always a great option! Trader Joes has a huge selection of pizza and the fan-favorite is none other than the cauliflower crust pizza. I’ve tried it and loved it! And the best part is that the only cooking skill required is preheating the oven. 

A post shared by Cassy Martin (@cassy_martin96) on

4. Frozen Mac & Cheese

While my review on the boxed mac & cheese from Trader Joes isn’t the best, their frozen mac is to die for! So easy to make too, just throw in the microwave for a few minutes and you’re set to go. Keep your eye out for their seasonal mac flavors, those are amazing too!

A post shared by Bethany (@bethanybuysthings) on

These are only a few of the options! So grab a resuable bag and head to your local Trader Joes. You wont regret it. 

Mya is majoring in Strategic Communication and is the current President of Her Campus Utah. She enjoys movies, road trips, writing and having dinner parties with her best friends. Her favorite things to write about are fashion, beauty and lifestyle.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor