Lullabies by Lang Leav

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Lang Leav, an artist, designer, amazing poet and author of Love & Misadventure, brings her fans her newest book Lullabies. Leav dedicates this book to Michael, her boyfriend, saying, “For Michael. I love you, I do — you have my word. You have all my words.” This book gives a deep look into love and loss through three different chapters titled: Duet, Interlude, and Finale. Her poems are short and sweet, but have so much meaning. The poems speak what every girl thinks and wants to say about their own struggles with romance. As a preview of Lullabies, here are a few of our favorite poems from the book:

“His Kiss”

He has me at his every whim;

everything starts with him.

To all the boys I used to kiss—

everything stops with his.

“Wishing Stars”

I still search

for you in crowds,

in empty fields

and soaring clouds.

In city lights

and passing cars,

on winding roads

and wishing stars.

And longer since

I called you mine—

time has passed

for you and I.

Yet I have learned

to live without,

I do not mind—

I still love you anyhow.

“Tell Me”

Tell me if you ever cared,

if a single though

for me was spared.

Tell me when you lie in bed,

do you think of something

I once said.

Tell me if you hurt at all,

when someone says

my name with yours.

It may have been so long ago,

but I would give

the world to know.           

Vermont native. Salt Lake City resident. Ellie Briggs is currently majoring in Strategic Communications with an emphasis in Public Relations at the University of Utah. She is serving as the Campus Correspondent, Co-President, and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Utah, along with Mietra Aarabi. When Ellie is not focusing on her studies, writing, or editing countless articles, you can find her brunching with her sister and laughing at her own jokes. Follow her on Instagram @elliebriggs and Twitter @ellbriggs - she promises you won't get bored!