This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

regret: (verb) feel sad, repentant, or disappointed over (something that has happened or been done, especially a loss or missed opportunity). 

At some point, most people have felt the sting of regret. Whether it be because of something we did do, or something we didn’t, regret is a powerful force that often results in remorse. It is not wise to dwell on these negative vibes, but on occasion, thoughts and experiences will arise to remind us not to inflict unnecessary pain upon ourselves in regard to such a trivial matter. No single person is perfect or the same, therefore it is important to remember our regrets in order to make more gratifying decisions in the future. 

Specifically in college, there are a plethora of opportunities to have a good time, define ourselves as individuals, and create a foundation for the rest of our lives. The twenty-something decade is when we typically form our own opinions as people, and establish habits as adults. Obviously we need to have priorities in order when planning for the future, but it is easy to get caught up in what will be and forget about what is. Bil Keane put it best when saying “Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present, “so instead of dwelling on the past, and making every decision in fear of the future, look for ways to enjoy today.

Every girl understands what it feels like to find the perfect pair of shoes, and every college girl understands what it’s like to find the perfect pair of shoes at the wrong time. It looks something like this:

1. You walk through the store and see a glorious pair of kicks on display.

2. You ask the attendant to get your size.

3. You try on the shoes and fall in love.

4. Not even needing to check the balance in your account, you bite your lip and sink into a mental war with yourself. While the devil on your left shoulder thinks of every possible justification for taking them home with you, the angel on your right shoulder is debating the odds of them being there in two weeks when you get your next paycheck. Newsflash: Rarely do the shoes end up being at the store when you come back. If you like them, odds are someone else will too, so take the risk and swipe your plastic. You will never be as young as you are in this moment, so while you are debating, take into consideration that you are here for a good time, not a long one. On that note, NEVER SETTLE. Not only should you take endless leaps into the unknown, but you should not keep yourself in circumstances that refuse to benefit you. 

If you don’t like the book you are reading, don’t finish it. If you don’t like the menu, leave the restaurant. Don’t conform to ideas that you were raised to respect if you don’t agree with them. Accept more invitations than you decline, and if something makes you feel beautiful, make sure it ends up in your closet, because life is too short to say yes when you should say no, and no when you should say yes. Cost and worth are very different things, and the wealthy are those who thrive in experiences. If you invest more on what is going to last, like memories and a good pair of shoes, the less you will waste on mediocrity. Learn from your mistakes and make better mistakes tomorrow, because there is no better way to learn and evolve into the person we are destined to become than by taking risks and living life to the fullest way we know how. 

-M

Malory no middle name Weber was born in Murray, UT on December 1, 1996. Growing up she moved across the country from Utah to Colorado, Texas, Maine, and back to Utah. Her passion for writing started at a young age and continues to grow everyday as she studies journalism at the University of Utah. Outside of writing, Malory enjoys being at the gym more often than being home, a good cup of iced coffee, and traveling as often as she can. Her dream job is to work as a face character at a Disney Resort, and her dream career is to publish her own magazine that is equal parts entertaining and informative. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor