This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

For the past year or so, I have been working as a dog sitter for a company called Rover. I get paid to hang out with, take care of, and snuggle little puppers all day, and it is literally the best job in the world. I have met so many incredible dogs through this job, and each of these dogs has taught me so much about how I want to live my life. Dogs have taught me to be open-minded, love the outdoors, live in the moment, and love people unconditionally. These furry little friends have so much to teach us about life, so I have taken the liberty of writing these life lessons down for us all. Here is a list of the life lessons we can all learn from dogs (and some adorable pictures of my favorite clients!).

1) Live in the moment (Fitz looking out the window)

Dogs are truly the epitome of living in the moment. They don’t care about yesterday or tomorrow, they pay attention to what is happening right now, and they always have a blast doing whatever it is they are doing. We as people have so much to learn when it comes to living this way. We constantly have a million thoughts going through our heads, and we so often forget to just breathe and take in all that is going on around us. We need to learn from Fitz and just love every second of the present. We need to stop worrying about the future and let go of the past. 

2) Going outside can fix most things (Roxy sniffing an artichoke plant)

Many people today don’t understand the healing properties that sitting outside and taking in our surroundings can have on a person. Dogs completely understand how awesome it is to be outside. They never turn down a moment to go on a walk or just sit outside with you. Being outside can help you forget all of your problems, embrace how cool life can be, and, if you’re lucky, spend some quality time with a little pup. There is not much better than strolling along with an adorable dog like Roxy and taking time to stop and smell the flowers (or artichokes). If you are feeling down in the near future, go on a walk. Spending time outside can fix almost anything that is bogging you down. 

3) Never stop being curious (Piggy Bank sniffing her cartoon twin)

Piggy Bank is one of the most curious dogs I have ever met. She honestly could be a cat. No matter how many times we go into the backyard, she always wanders around and searches every corner for something new. Humans as a species are getting less and less curious. With the internet at our fingertips 24/7, we don’t wonder very much because we have access to all the answers. We need to start questioning things again and experiencing things in order to find out what they are rather than asking Google or YouTube. A dog’s curiosity is a beautiful thing that we should all try to adopt. 

4) Lean on others (Birkie and Eddie asleep in the car)

Almost every organism on the face of the Earth needs some kind of connection. We need to rely on others to excel and grow in our lifetimes. Birkie and Eddie are a wonderful example of this connection to others. These two have been connected since they were puppies and they are absolutely best friends. They never go anywhere without the other one and it is adorable. I think humans need this connection just as much as dogs! We need to rely on others in order to make it in life, and this is something that few people in this day and age accept. 

5) To love and be loved unconditionally (Ruby on the couch)

Dogs are truly the symbol of unconditional love. They love us no matter how we look, act, or even smell. They love us regardless of anything we chose to do in life. Being as accepting and loving as a dog is something we should all strive for. Dogs love without expecting anything in return, and if all humans did that, this world would be an incredible place. Ruby loves all people no matter who they are. She just wants to be everybody’s best friend, and I honestly aspire to be exactly like her. Loving someone unconditionally can be an extremely difficult thing to do, but it is a wonderful way of living life and it is incredibly freeing. 

6) Find your pack and be loyal (Tank and Peanut being besties)

Dogs are some of the most loyal companions on earth. They truly are humans’ best friend. They will always be there when you need them, and they will never leave your side. Once you are a part of their pack, you are in it for life. Humans need a reminder that loyalty is one of the most essential qualities in a lasting friendship. We all need to find our pack and be loyal to them so we can all lead happy lives. Tank and Peanut are a quirky little pack of pups, but they are incredibly loyal to one another and are the best of friends. We all need to search for our own pack, no matter how unconventional it may seem, and we need to stay loyal to them in order to enrich all of our lives.

7) Don’t care what others think (Lily sleeping on the couch)

Dogs just love being themselves. They don’t care what anyone thinks about them, and no matter what they look like, we love them so much. Far too often, people often pretend to be something they are not just to please others. We need to learn from our furry friends and love our own personality. Lily never cares what anyone thinks, and she is living the dream. We should all follow in her footsteps. 

8) Forgiveness (Oscar sitting on the couch)

It is inconceivable that a dog could ever hold a grudge against you. No matter what is done to them, they are incredibly happy and ready to play just a few minutes later. What about humans? Can you imagine how great the world would be if people were incapable of holding grudges? We would all be so much happier! We all need to follow in Oscar’s footsteps and just be happy and forgiving in everything we do. Letting go of the dumb grudges we hold against each other is a much healthier way to live, and it can improve our quality of life so much if we are not directing our hatred against someone who has wronged us. 

9) Enthusiasm is key (Eleanor ready to play) 

Dogs are always so enthusiastic. They lose their mind when you come home, when you give them food, when you take them on a walk, or when they get to meet a new friend. A classic example of this is Eleanor. Eleanor is one of the most enthusiastic pups I have ever taken care of, and she was an absolute joy to look after. She is always thrilled about what is happening in life, and she really enjoys the small things. We as a species can really learn a lot from Eleanor. Enthusiasm can make your life so much more exciting and can make you more lovable as a person. Just be stoked about life! It’s so easy!

10) Explore (Pancake playing with toys)

One thing that humans don’t take nearly enough time to do is explore. Exploration is an incredible part of life that so many of us are missing out on. We need to branch out, try new things, discover who we are as a person, and explore the world. It can really help us get in touch with who we are as people, and it can open our eyes to so much! Pancake is a perfect example of an undying thirst for exploration. This little guy is so full of wonder and is always ready for his next adventure, and this is absolutely beautiful. We could all learn a lot from Pancake. 

Dogs are not only super adorable, but they also have so much to teach us! Being in contact with so many dogs over the past few years has really taught me a lot about myself and how I should be living my life. Dogs are beautiful creatures that love so much and are always thrilled to be alive. I spend every day trying to be as loving, care-free, and enthusiastic as the pupperonis I take care of, and it has made my life so incredible. I strongly suggest you try it. 

Also, huge thanks to all of my Rover clients who let me showcase their adorable doggos in this article! Here are some more of my favorites that I just couldn’t leave out!

Happy happy Roxy!

Cute little Rigby (Eleanor’s brother)

Puppy Ed

Laughing Lily

Wise Fitz

Birkie watching TV

If you are interested in joining Rover or hiring a Rover sitter, use my link, to get $20 when your first stay is complete!

Photo sources: My Rover Clients and My Own Dogs!

Ry Iverson is a transgender sociology alum of the University of Utah. He grew up in Apple Valley, California and moved to Utah to be closer to family. He enjoys listening to music, reading, cooking, drawing, traveling, and helping others. He enjoys writing about his favorite TV shows, cooking, LGBTQ experiences, and advice, and in his free time he can be found laying on the ground outside taking in the world. Enjoy Ry's articles and everything he has to offer!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor