The Lazy Girl’s Guide to Normalizing Your Period

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Let’s just put it out there: periods are normal, and periods are healthy. And if anyone tells you otherwise? They are literally biologically incorrect. So why do we feel like having a period is something we should be ashamed of? Why not feel like we can talk about our periods openly?

If being more open about that time of the month is something you’ve wanted to do for a while, here are a few quick and easy ways to do so!

1. If You Have Cramps, Don’t Hide Them

Even if you don’t want to talk to someone who has never had or will never have a menstrual cycle, talk to someone who has! Feel free to ask them how they get rid of their cramps, whether it be with Midol or yoga, or whatever their secret is. Another way to accept and normalize your cramps is to understand if you need to stay home and take care of yourself. If you have an important thing to go to, but you just can’t get out of bed, call in sick, and describe your symptoms. You are completely validated in staying home for cramps!

2. If You Forget Tampons/Pads, Ask For One

Another positive way to normalize your period is to ask for a tampon or pad if you need one. Talking about it openly with other people helps to strengthen your bond to them, and will also get you out of a (potentially literally) sticky situation!

3. Retaliate Against “That Time of the Month”

If anyone tries to assert themselves by diminishing you by claiming that it’s “just your time of the month”, revolt against it! Make sure that they really want to know about your body, and assume that if they mention your body, they are fully comfortable with hearing about it. Explain your anger against the price of tampons, or your agony with your cramps. If they bring it up, they are willing to hear about it. Fair and square.

4. Encourage Your Significant Other to Be On Board

If you have a significant other, let them know that the hottest thing they could possibly do is take care of you while you’re menstruating, and to be patient with your mood swings if you’re PMSing. Encourage them to buy you tampons and chocolate, or to rub your lower stomach when you’re in pain.

These are just a few ways to normalize your period, and once you get started, you’ll wonder why you were ever ashamed of it! Remember that periods are natural and that you don’t get to choose whether or not they occur. So don’t let anyone make you feel bad or weird about it!

1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor