This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

If you’re anything like me, most of your income goes to fast food (when it’s not being sucked up by tuition). Packing a lunch seems like a good idea… until you try to do it. It’s a surprisingly difficult art, packing a good lunch. Leftovers for days won’t keep you healthy or happy. It’s time to up your lunchbox game! Read up on these tips to help you master mealtimes.

Your Lunchbox Matters

Having a good lunchbox makes packing it a breeze. For example, compartmented containers make it simple to ensure you’re getting small portions of each of the food groups. It helps inspire variety, rather than just filling an entire tupperware with leftover chili… again. You want to make sure that your lunchbox is big enough to provide adequate room for food… but also small enough that it doesn’t interfere with your (million) textbooks and weigh too much. Also, make certain your lunch containers are airtight. You don’t want your lunch all over your homework!

Think About Lunchtime… at Dinner

When you’re preparing your evening food, think ahead to tomorrow’s lunch. Try making meals that will last and pack well. Also, set aside any sauces that go with your food to pack in with your lunch the next day. As you’re putting away leftovers, pack it directly into your lunch containers so you don’t even have to think about it.

Fresh is Best!

You don’t actually have to prepare every little thing that goes in your lunchbox. In fact, things that are not processed (like apples, grapes, carrots, and peppers) are easy to slice and dice and toss into your bag without thinking about it. Delicious and nutritious!

Comb the Aisles

While grocery shopping, keep your eyes peeled for good lunchbox items. You may be surprised by what you find!

Copy-Cat

If you notice other people with yummy-looking lunches, copy their ideas!

Look for Inspiration

There are several YouTubers who have really good lunch ideas and shape their whole channel around meal preparation and storage. Fall down a lunchbox rabbithole! You’ll be amazed with how much inspiration you find.

Don’t Beat Yourself Up

You won’t be able to pack a perfect lunch perpetually. Sometimes you won’t remember to pack a lunch at all… and that’s fine! Remember, the key to building a good habit is to keep at it. 

So, when you go to pack your next lunch, keep these tips in mind to help you out. 

I'm a transfer student to the U, majoring in Writing and Rhetoric, minoring in creative writing and book arts.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor