How to Make Your Coffee Healthier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Coffee is a daily essential for me. Not only does it give me an extra kick of energy, but I love the routine and feelings associated with making and consuming coffee. However, it’s very easy to fall in love with sugary coffee drinks, and consuming these kinds of drinks everyday is not great for your body due to the extra sugar and calories. Coffee itself is actually fairly good for you due to its antioxidants, nutrients, and reduced risk for certain diseases. Black coffee is, of course, probably the best in terms of health. I can enjoy a cup of black coffee, but I prefer a bit of milk or sweetness to make the coffee itself more of a treat. Here are a few ways to make your daily cup healthier without losing sweet taste. 

1. Replace milk or cream with unsweetened nut milk. 

Nut milk, such as almond milk, coconut milk, cashew milk, and soy milk, are lower in calories and sugar when unsweetened. Even just switching from regular milk to almond milk can have a huge change in the calorie count of your coffee. Make sure the milk is unsweetened, however, or you will be adding a lot of extra sugars. 

coffee is poured into a glass cup on a counter. there is a carton of oat milk next to it
Christopher Rusev | Unsplash

2. Use honey, unsweetened cocoa powder, or cinnamon as a natural syrup alternative. 

Honey is a natural sweetener. Although it can pack a lot of sugar in small portions, it is a healthier alternative to syrups or other sugary additions, and the sugar it does have is better for you than refined sugars. There are also other health benefits to honey such as antibacterial properties and antioxidants. Even just a drop of honey can have a large sweetening effect on coffee, so you can use smaller amounts and still keep a sweet taste. Unsweetened cocoa powder and cinnamon, in small amounts, are also easy ways to add a bit of sweetness without adding too much sugar into your daily intake. Cinnamon can reduce inflammation and unsweetened cocoa powder can balance cholesterol

Coldbrew + Milk
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

Remember, no matter what, your body is beautiful and sugary coffee drinks are delightful to consume in moderation. However, implementing these tips into your everyday coffee routine may help you minimize extra sugars in your diet and make you feel more energized and healthy. Happy sipping, collegiettes!

Mary Muench is a senior at the University of Utah majoring in Mathematics with a minor in Computer Science. She knows too much about coffee and enjoys white-water rafting and hammocking.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor