Pancakes
Pancakes
Christin Urso / Spoon

How to Make 3-Ingredient Banana Pancakes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

This recipe is for everyone who wants to cook something for themselves but, like me, has no kitchen skills. This recipe may not seem like much, but it’s become one of my favorite things to cook because of its simplicity and tastiness. 

I truly believe that you, too, can make these super easy pancakes. I promise you don’t need to be a chef before endeavoring on this simple cooking adventure, so please, even if you have minimal kitchen skills, read on!

Ingredients you will need:

• 2 eggs
  • 1 banana
  • Olive oil (or butter) for pan

Materials you will need:

• Pan
  • Stove
  • Ladle
  • Spatula (for flipping)
  • Fork and bowl (for mashing banana)
Peel that banana!

Once your banana is peeled, place it in the bowl and start mashing it up with your fork. You’re going to want to mash until it’s pretty liquefied and gloopy. Once there are no more noticeable chunks of banana, you’re probably good.

Crack those eggs!

Crack them either directly into the banana bowl or into a separate bowl first, depending on how confident you are in your egg-cracking skills. You can use the same fork to then mix them together (either the two eggs alone or the two eggs with the banana; if the eggs are by themselves, pour them into the bowl with the banana and continue mixing). Once you’re done with that, ta-da! You have your banana pancake batter.

Heat up that pan!

Place your pan on the stovetop on a medium-low setting, and add a swirl of your oil or butter. I always use olive oil, but if you’re a butter fan, I’m sure it would work just the same. If you can complete the first two steps pretty fast, you could start to heat the pan first to save some time, but it’s all up to you.

Grab your ladle and start scooping up the batter!

I normally go for smaller pancakes myself, so one ladle per pancake normally works well for me. Simply scoop some batter out of your bowl, and pour it onto an oiled part of the pan. Give the soon-to-be-pancakes a little space, but feel free to put down however many fit without touching!

Watch for bubbles!

Once there’s some bubbling on the pancakes, make sure to start checking that the side touching the pan is cooked. Once it looks pretty solid, you can flip them! I warn you that they aren’t the most firm things ever, so this may be a challenge, but I believe in you. Even if they don’t end up being perfect circles and end up looking more like a crumpled mass of egg and banana, they’ll still taste the same. Just do your best to assess how cooked they look! Normally what ends up being the top will have a sort of almost crispy light-brown edge, and some darker brown on the bottom. But honestly, as long as they have transformed from something gloopy into something solid, you’re probably in the clear.

Time to eat!

Once you’ve determined they’re cooked, put them on a plate! And bam, you have breakfast!

Some notes:

Normally with this recipe, I make about twelve small pancakes by the end. You can easily half or double the recipe, though, depending on how hungry you are or if you’re cooking for two.

To anyone who actually tries this, I realize these aren’t the most glamorous things in the world. I enjoy making them because I find them tasty and unique, and honestly, there’s nothing nutritionally bad about them – it’s literally a banana and two eggs. I’m still exploring this recipe and will sometimes experiment, though, and I encourage you to do the same! I’ve found that cinnamon sugar and nut butter are good additions to the batter, or even to put on top of the pancakes after they’re cooked. You could also try mini chocolate chips, blueberries, maple syrup, or something else entirely! Just be sure to let me know if you find a good combo.

Emily is a second-year Speech & Hearing Science major in the Honors College at the U of Utah. She loves caring for plants, knitting hats, good song lyrics, and time spent in art museums. She hopes you enjoy reading her articles.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor