absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Hosting a Movie Night on a College Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Now that it is officially fall, and the cold weather has arrived, it is the perfect time of year to snuggle up and watch some great movies with your friends or significant other. Hosting a movie night can be a wonderful way to stay connected with your friends throughout the second half of the semester, and it can easily be done on a budget. Here are some tips and tricks for throwing an affordable movie night this fall. 

One of the most important things to consider when hosting a movie night is food. Most people spend way too much trying to feed all of their friends through Postmates or some other fast food delivery website. The easiest way to save money on your movie night is to cook all the food yourself. Although it sounds like a lot of work, cooking is a great way to save money, make a fun and a wide variety of food, and have an absolute blast cooking and connecting with your best buddies. 

Another great way to save money on movie night is to utilize your local dollar store. The dollar store really is the best place for a college student to shop, and I don’t think it is used nearly enough. They have everything from food, to treats, to decorations. Basically any possible thing you could need for your awesome movie night. You should give it a try! 

One of the easiest ways to host a movie night on a college budget is to choose a movie from a streaming service you already have access to or to use one of the streaming services your university gives you for free (or for thousands of dollars in tuition really). The U, for example, gives all of its students HBO Go for free. All of these streaming services have hidden gems that are really worth watching. 

The best way to have a wonderful movie night while spending very little money is to have your friends pitch in. We are all struggling college students and most of us are very understanding when it comes to money. Don’t be afraid to ask your friends to help out and make your movie night unforgettable. 

Hopefully, you are now inspired to host a wonderful movie night for you and your college family to stay out of the cold weather. I hope this makes your fall unforgettable!

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3

Ry Iverson is a transgender sociology alum of the University of Utah. He grew up in Apple Valley, California and moved to Utah to be closer to family. He enjoys listening to music, reading, cooking, drawing, traveling, and helping others. He enjoys writing about his favorite TV shows, cooking, LGBTQ experiences, and advice, and in his free time he can be found laying on the ground outside taking in the world. Enjoy Ry's articles and everything he has to offer!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor