Fun Games to Play at Your Next Game Night

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

A game night is the best way to unplug and spend some quality time with your friends. We are all guilty of paying more attention to our screens than our friends every now and then, and this is a nice way to prevent that. Not only will a game night put friendships to the test, but it will also give your phones some much needed rest. Here are a few games that you might want to include the next time you and your friends get together.

Cards Against Humanity

• I’m sure you already know about or have played this crude card game. If you haven’t… its basically an adult version of Apples to Apples. The only difference is that a player asks a question, and everyone gives an uncensored response. Like most card games there are expansion sets available, so you don’t have to play with the same cards over and over again. There are currently 20+ expansion packs to choose from, and the prices range from $5-$20. They even have a Weed Pack and a Period Pack! Just don’t play this game with your six-year-old sister, because you’ll have a lot of explaining to do. 

The Game of Life

• There is nothing like the good old Game of Life. This game has come a long way since your elementary school days, and so have you. At this point in your life you know you are not getting $1000 every time life screws you over. This game doesn’t come with expansion packs, but there are variations on it. My favorite is the credit card version (Game of Life Electronic Banking), and I’d recommend it to anyone in a heartbeat. You don’t have to count out money because the machine does it for you. No more fighting over who has to be banker because they simplified it. The only complaint I have about this game is that sometimes the babies pop out of the car when they should be strapped in their car seat.

Monopoly 

• This is another classic. Like The Game of Life, this game has many versions. There is a credit card version, millennials edition, and even a cheaters edition. I mean, who hasn’t cheated while playing Monopoly. The only way to win this version of the game is by completing all of the cheats without getting caught. If you don’t like Monopoly, you’ll surely like this version!

The Voting Game

• Similar to Cards Against Humanity, a player reveals a question, but instead of filling in the blank everyone chooses someone who they think would do what the question asks. For example, a question card may read “Who always pees in the pool?”, and the players will vote for who they think pees in the pool. Once everyone is finished voting, the votes are tallied and the person who received the most votes keeps the question card. The player with the most cards at the end wins the game. 

What Do You Meme?

• Who doesn’t love a good meme? This game is perfect for all you meme creators. To play this game, the person that is “it” puts an image on display. And we aren’t talking about any image here, we are talking about images used in some of the most famous memes. Each of the players then choose a caption card they think is perfect for the meme. The person with the best card keeps the image and, like most of these card games, the person with the most images wins. This game has expansion packs available as well. 

Dixit

• I saved the best for last. This game is a masterpiece and the artwork for it is exquisite. This is similar to Charades in that the players try to guess another’s card based on a clue. This clue can be anything ranging from a sound to a sentence. Each player then places a card face down on the table, where they are shuffled. The cards are then turned upright, and the players try to guess the card of the person that’s “it”. Points are then distributed depending on how many players guessed the card correctly. The first person to get 30 points wins. This game has several expansion packs and I recommend buying each and every one. Once you take a look at the cards you’ll see why.

I hope you include these games in your next game night and enjoy them just as much as I do. (:

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Farah majoring in sociology and minoring in political science. She is the Director of Recruitment and Director of Social Media of Her Campus Utah for the 2020-2021 school year. She loves painting with coffee and drinking lemonade.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor