nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The FeedU Food Pantry is Coming to the Rescue

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Remember when that joke about being a college student and living off of Ramen was funny? Yeah, it stops being funny when you realize that Ramen, although extremely affordable, is one of the most unhealthy foods you could be putting into your body and it happens to be all you’ve been eating for the past month and a half. For that reason, the University of Utah opened its Feed U Food Pantry in October of 2014! It’s there for students to give them the time, energy, and freedom to focus on their studies, tuition costs, rent, car payments, phone bills and everything else they have to worry about.

The food pantry is based on the honor system, you can go in whenever and they will give you food, no questions asked. There are some students who have a difficult time getting to a grocery store and the Feed U pantry can really help them out during the week.  Others may have to decide between eating unhealthy for cheap or making a few visits to the food pantry to receive some much needed nutrition. With winter in full swing utility costs soar due to heating costs, this can be an unexpected expense and this program can help lessen that financial burden.

“The University of Utah food pantry provides non-perishable, nourishing food for our students, their families, faculty and staff. Why? Because there are times when we all have struggles: Loss of a job, paying tuition, medical emergencies. The basic demands of life sometimes make us have to choose between food or bills.”

Collegiettes, don’t be ashamed to take an advantage of this awesome organization here at the U! By going to college you are doing so much for your future and for society so you shouldn’t be worrying about deciding to keep the heater on or to eat healthy.  

The Feed U pantry is located in the campus bookstore and is open Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. All you need to do is bring your Ucard!

If you aren’t in need right now you should consider dropping off some food for other students or volunteering. You can find information to do this on their website at http://www.feedu.utah.edu/

Kristen is a junior at the University of Utah. She's majoring in Linguistics and banking on the idea that it will allow her to live around the world for awhile! She's enjoying living off ramen noodles and mixed drinks (what else do you expect from a college student?).
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor