Farewell to Orson Spencer Hall 1955-2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

If you haven’t had a class in Orson Spencer Hall (OSH), you’re part of a small group. I’ve had countless classes in OSH, as have my parents, and my grandparents. Since it’s construction in 1955, OSH has become a legacy on campus. Located next to the Union, OSH has been at the center of campus, serving as a symbol for both students and community members.

In recent times, it has been common to be sitting in class and have a ceiling tile fall, or see dust drift down from above. Due to the hard work of University of Utah administration and others, we are now at a place to where OSH can be town down and entirely rebuilt. The new building is being constructed with the help of outside donors, including Carolyn and Kem Gardner, who the building is being named after. Earlier today, the Groundbreaking Celebration took place at library plaza, with what remains of OSH on the hill behind. With remarks from President David W. Pershing, Senior Vice President Ruth V. Watkins, College of Social Behavioral Science Dean Cynthia Berg, Jesselie Anderson from the Utah State Board of Regents, Carolyn and Kem Gardner, as well as distinguished students, spoke at the celebration to welcome the new building.

Unfortunately, graduating seniors like myself won’t ever get to enjoy classes in this new building. The new structure will be open in time for Fall 2018 classes, so just under two years from now. This building will house 33 classrooms, 2 auditoriums, conference and project rooms, laboratory facilities, study areas, and places to eat. Throughout its existence, OSH has been an essential building on campus. This new building will contain the College of Social Behavioral Science Dean’s Office and many departments and programs, the National Center for Veterans Studies, the School for Social and Cultural Transformation, the Hinckley Institute of Politics, the Office of Global Engagement, the University Welcome Center, Chartwells Food Court, a collaborative advising center, and several laboratories.

As a University of Utah student, thank you to all who are making the Carolyn and Kem Gardner Building possible for all current and future students. I can’t wait to come back to campus to see this building in action! Although the original building will be gone, the memories of OSH live on. 

Living life to the fullest with a spirit animal that is the combination of Hermione Granger and Leslie Knope. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor